October 23rd

"Really?" Mrs Taylor furrowed her eyebrows as she looked at her husband's excited face. She perked her head to the side. "No way."

"Just watch him when I get to the topic. You'll see that I'm right." Michael Taylor laid back in his chair. It was great to be able to normally talk to his wife. Her menopause mood swings began to settle down and she was back her cheerful self.

"But why are you so excited about it?" she asked with her brows still furrowed. She couldn't understand why would he be so emotional.

"Oh, Winnie, because it's so damn funny to watch him go all red and flustered!" Mr Taylor laughed. He took a drag of his cigarette and smiled at his wife shaking her head in a disapproving manner.

The oven went off with a peeping sound.

Winifred got up to take the casserole out, grabbing it through the cloth. Michael dumped his cig in the ashtray and stood up to take out the plates and cutlery.

"Clare! Roger!" he shouted for the kids to come downstairs. "Food!"

"But please don't talk to Roger about it right now. I don't want him to feel awkward during the nice family dinner." said his wife quickly before the kids came.

"Oh, a casserole..." Roger came into the kitchen and looked around. "Amazing."

"Mum, I told you I don't like this casserole." Clare walked in with a scrunched up face.

"I know honey, but I had to use things we had in our fridge because it was lacking of space." Winnie put the plates with casserole in front of each kid and then she brang two portions for her and Micheal and sat down. "Enjoy your meal!"

All of them hummed in acknowledgement. Mr and Mrs Taylor were eating like a normal human beings. Roger was pushing too much into his mouth but hey, it wasn't  his fault that he was starving. Clare put her fork down after one try.

"I'm going out to Kayla today. We need to study and make this project, you know."

"Study on Friday?" her dad raised his eyebrow.

"Yeah, we have a tone of material that needs to bee revised and... yeah." the girl nodded, keeping her eyes down.

"Why don't you just say that you're having a sleepover at Kayla's?" Mrs Taylor asked, looking up from her plate. Clare also looked up and Roger noticed the relief on her face.

"Yeah, a sleepover. Kayla invited me because it's Friday after all and, you know, we need to take a break from all the school stress and... yeah."

"So you aren't gonna study?" dad was piercing his gaze at his daughter trying to read her. But parents were never good at reading their children's emotions. Although Roger looked at Clare as at an open book.

"Oh, drop it." mum frowned her eyebrows and stabbed the food with her fork. "It's Friday, let kids be free-"

"No don't let her go there!" Roger shouted, spitting a bit of food at the table. His dad shot him a killing glance for messing up the tablecloth, his mum shot him a killing glance for shouting during the meal and his sister did the same thing. For the obvious reason.

"What the hell are you on about? " Mr Taylor asked. It was his typical line that meant 'explain everything and give unbreakable arguments'.

Roger knew exactly what was Clare going about. Kayla has two older brothers who are twins. They were in Brian's class when they used to go to that school. Oh how much laments about them Roger got to listen through all these years. The Terror Twins.

Always making fun of that one nerd that did nothing beside being smart. That one nerd that always took it all so seriously because he didn't have siblings and wasn't used to someone insulting him.