Part Eighteen

Dear Diary,

Mom and dad don’t know about the magic me and Elizabeth have. I don’t know why, but we were just born with this power to do things most people wouldn’t be able to do. Well, I’ve learned how to make people live forever. It’s all in my secret recipe. I don’t want to write it down though, I don’t need to. And I also wouldn’t want anyone to somehow find it someday. Anyway, I think it could come in handy someday. I’m not sure why or how, I guess I just have this feeling.

                   Evelyn White

Dear Diary,

Mom and dad are fighting, I think they might not be together much longer, and father wants to take Elizabeth with him if he leaves. This isn’t good. We’ll never be together again. I drank some of that stuff I was talking about though, kind of on accident, which means now I’m going to live forever. I’m not sure if that’s a good thing or a bad thing at the moment. Will I really want to live forever? Although, I think you only live until you find what you’re looking for, that’s what I was aiming for. Because someone I knew once died never finding her mother. And I wanted to give people the chance to find their loved ones if they ever got separated. But I’m not looking for anyone, at least not at the moment.

                   Evelyn White

“This is interesting,” I said, “but what does this have to do with finding her though?”

“Keep reading. It might be a clue,” Emily answered.

Dear Diary,

Daddy left and took Elizabeth with him. I’m sad now. He never said where he was going either. So I can’t even look for her. Maybe my drink will work now. I’ll have to find her eventually, no matter how long it takes. Until then, I’ll be planning my future of where I want to live if I don’t die. I think I would want to go to Florida. Maybe New York, who knows...? I made myself a necklace a few days ago, forgot to mention that. Elizabeth really liked it. She even said she was going to make one herself, only slightly different so you would know mine was the original one. I made it magic. I wanted it to show that we were connected. Elizabeth did the same, but not as much. They glow whenever we’re both wearing them. It’s pretty cool actually.

                   Evelyn White

“I think we should check New York. It’s closer.”

It didn’t take us as long as I thought it would to get to New York. Our only problem was that we had no idea where to start looking.

Emily kept looking through her diary trying to see if maybe she mentioned anything else, but couldn’t find a single helpful piece of information.

“There’s no way we’re going to find her in this city,” said Emily.

“I wouldn’t be so sure,” I said,

They both looked at the billboard I was pointing at and then looked back at me. It was a billboard with that necklace on it. Only this one had to be her store because Emily said she thought she was the only one who still sold them.

“Actually other countries sell them too, but yours is the only other one in America,” Iliana told her.

“Then why do you leave the country to get them?” I asked.

“It’s more fun.”

“Well, we have an address now, let’s go,” Emily said, leading us off in the direction of the address the sign gave up.

We got to the store we were looking for and saw that it was closed. This was kind of a problem. Then again, the fact that she had a store here meant that she would have to live somewhere in the city. Wondering what name she went by, we just decided to ask people if they knew where the owner of the store lived. One guy happened to actually know.