Part Fifteen

Part 3

1809 – Stacie

I remember everything now. It was exactly like you said. I was definitely trying to come back to you though, I never forgot about you. I just couldn’t make it back, I’m so sorry. I promised…

-

We were sitting under the big tree in your back yard when my parents came and took me away, I hated having to leave you, but there was nothing I could do. They were making me leave.

I don’t exactly know where it was we were going. They never told me. We just stopped at some small town in the middle of nowhere. My dad got a job there and my mom found us a nice little house to live in.

 Wasn’t the nicest, but I didn’t care. I knew that someday I was going to leave here and get back to you. Then we could find a way to earn money and have our own house somewhere. That we could decorate however we wanted. And it was be bigger too. We could use our music to get us a job. We were both pretty good at playing instruments, you could even sing. Maybe we could play for people or something.

“Father where are we?” I asked.

“That’s not important.”

“I should be able to know where I live.”

“Why? So you can tell that little girlfriend of yours and she can follow you here? I don’t think so,” he answered in a rather ruse tone.

I was hurt.

“What are you saying?” I asked curiously. “I thought you needed a job. You didn’t move just to get me away from her did you?”

“You’ll get over her faster.” My mother cut in. “We can’t have someone in this family who’s a girl liking another girl. Why didn’t you tell us this? We have to find out from our neighbor who saw you two in her room two weeks ago?”

            “One, I had good reason not to tell you. You took me away from her. Two, what do you mean they caught us? And three, why does it matter that I like a girl? Moving me here sure isn’t going to change that. I’m not getting over her either. I’ll find a way back, eventually.”

“Their kids were outside in the backyard when they decided it would be funny to spy on you girls when you didn’t know. I don’t think they quite expected what they saw. Of course they were boys, two of them teenagers, so that did interest them, but that doesn’t matter. You shouldn’t have been doing what you were doing.”

I couldn’t believe what happened. Somehow someone saw me and you together and told my parents. That’s exactly what I was afraid was going to happen, but you told me not to worry, that no one would know. They then decided to move me away from you so I would get over liking you. I wish I knew that. I would have run away. I mean, how was moving me away from someone I loved supposed to help me get over liking them anyway? Sometimes I didn’t get my parents. They only really thought about themselves. They never cared about me too much. They only pretended to.

I went a few days not being able to contact you. My parents were keeping an eye on me to make sure that I wasn’t writing to you or anything. One day I finally decided that I was going to try and get back to you on my own. There was no way I was going to live like this until I was old enough to move on out on my own. I couldn’t stand the way they were treating me. My parents couldn’t keep me from running away, and nothing could keep me from you. They probably wouldn’t even care.

They’d probably rather have me run away never to be found again than have me stay here where they’d have to admit to people that their daughter liked a girl.