Twenty-Five

Ainsley stirred in the morning opening her eyes, jumping at the sight of Katie staring at her. Ainsley put her hand over her heart, trying to calm herself down. "Holy Crap! What the hell are you doing?!" Ainsley yelled at her as she pushed herself up to lean against the headboard.

"I was waiting for you to wake up." Katie stated and Ainsley sighed.

"So you just sit there and stare at me!" Ainsley yelled at her and Katie rolled her eyes deciding to just move on.

"I know you think that you have to leave, but I think you are making a mistake."

"Why? If he has a broken heart then you can swoop right in and get your king fantasy." Ainsley joked, but Katie just slightly shook her head.

"I'm not amused," Katie stated. "That would be more funny, if you weren't making a life-altering mistake."

Ainsley rolled her eyes, getting out of bed. "You are being dramatic." Ainsley stated.

"No, I'm not," Katie stated, standing up from the bed, and Ainsley walked over to the closet pulling out some clothes. "Just keep an open mind until our flight."

"Alright." Ainsley nodded.

"Thank you." Katie walked out of the room on a mission and Ainsley looked at her suitcase sticking out from under the bed. She let out a deep breath tossing her outfit on the bed before doing the same with the rest of her clothes. 

~~~

Ainsley stood in front of Richard's office door and knocked on it. She waited to be told to 'come in'. Ainsley walked through the door to see Richard standing behind his desk. "Sorry to interrupt." Ainsley said and Richard lightly shook his head, setting the papers in his hands down.

"No, I'm glad to see you." Richard said walking over to her, briefly kissing her lips. "I have a lot of things to handle before the coronation. A lot of it is busywork, but it has to get done."

"I want to talk to you about Caroline." Ainsley said and Richard sighed.

"Ainsley, please don't tell me this is bothering you again." Richard stood with his hands on his hips and Ainsley sighed.

"It's not, but..."

"Ainsley." Richard put his hand on Ainsley's cheek. "Whatever she said to you, she's wrong."

"Maybe she's not wrong." Ainsley lightly shook her head.

"She's always wrong."

Ainsley sighed. "Richard, she's beautiful and you have a better chance of running a country with her by your side than with me."

"No, I don't."

"That's not even my point," Ainsley stressed feeling herself getting frustrated that her words didn't seem to come out.

"Ainsley, there is nothing between us anymore." Richard stated, even though that wasn't what Ainsley needed to hear. "I don't want her. I want you."

There was a knock on the door getting their attention and Blake walked into the room. "Sorry to interrupt, but mom says she needs you. We're starting soon."

"Okay." Richard nodded and Blake walked back out of the room. Richard looked over at Ainsley. "We'll finish this later." 

Ainsley nodded and Richard walked away. "We already have." Ainsley said softly before reaching into her bag and pulling out her note. Ainsley sighed setting it down on his desk. The words flooded her mind as tears escaped her eyes.

'Richard, I'm so sorry. I wanted to do this in person, but there just isn't any time. Maybe I'm just worried you'll talk me out of this. This has nothing to do with Caroline or me being in my head too much. I'm doing this because it is what is best for you and, in a way, it's what's best for Cosna too. You are going to be a wonderful King and you are going to do wonderful things for your people. I believe in you and more importantly...I love you.'