Chapter 5

"Honey, I heard about the whole ordeal today," I heard Amelia's quiet voice before I saw her sitting down next to me on the tilted rooftop. I instantly dropped my head on her shoulder, her red hair tickling my forehead. Her arms draped around mine and I relaxed, feeling all of my anger seeping away.

"What happened? I heard different versions, some cringe-worthy, and some unbelievable."

"H-he tried to... kiss me, Amelia," I stuttered, my voice slight cracking, and she tense knowingly. She knew.

"It's about Joshua, isn't it?"

"It's always about him."

We remained silent, gazing into the vast night. No words needed to be shared, she already knew everything that I felt and wanted to say. After a while, she pulled out a Jack Daniel's from behind her and popped it opened with her teeth while I cringed painfully watching her. She gulped a few of the liquid and handed me the bottle. I gulped some too and turned to hug her gratefully.

She laughed. "We are drinking that shit as if it was water."

"It is. Very, very concentrated water," I said, snorting.

"Or, barely distilled alcohol," she countered, pulling my head back on her shoulder. The bottle went back and forth as we sat in silence and drank away our sorrows and worries.

"Elle, you know you'll have to move on, right? It's been three years," she said with a slight hesitation in her voice. She feared my reaction. She always did. "I mean, I do want to become an auntie."

I chuckled and nodded. "I know and I will." I paused, thinking. "You know, I feel bad saying so, but the love I once felt for him has diminished. I mean, I still love him. I always will and I don't want to stop. B-but uh it's not the same kind of... love," I trailed off, thinking again. "I still feel like I belong to him, but it's mostly out of respect than of love."

"I understand and know what you mean. It's normal to feel that way, Elle. People fall in and out of love. That's is why we go from one relationship to another. You may promise the world to someone but end up breaking up and moving on and finding love again with someone else. It just shows that you're human. So, let go when you need, and want to let go. When you're ready to. He would want you to. He had moved on and I'm sure as hell he is happy," she said. Her fingers gently stroking my hair in a soothing manner.

"Thanks, Amelia," I muttered as I grabbed her hand and squeeze it.

"Anytime, anywhere, always," she said and she kissed my forehead.

We stayed there, finishing the bottle. I could tell we both were tipsy, drunk even, as we slurred and giggled like the Cheetah Girls. We dizzily made our way inside through the cramped window and stumbled on the carpet, both of us falling headfirst. We shared a look and laughter erupted from us. Downstairs, I could hear the front door opened and Camilla's voice announced that she was gracing us with her presence. Still laughing like mad women, we hurried downstairs, stumbling on the way, and hugged her.

"Dang, you guys smell," she said, scrunching her nose in mock disgust.

"And you look beautiful!" I said, stroking her face. I had a lot of affection to offer while tipsy... or drunk. But whatever.

"You smell like fresh daisies, Cam-cam," Amelia added and she was now kissing her all over her face. She laughed and pushed us away towards the couch. A quick studying look over us and a swift shook of her head showed her disappointment in us. I feared her like I feared my mother during her menopause when her green eyes squinted to slits. I was bracing for the worst, a long-ass lecture about how we were not supposed to drink at this time of the day, whiskey at that. But, her reaction baffled and relaxed me at the same time. It was the first time she reacted like this.