45. Crisis

"I think it's unwise," Lukas said as he leaned against the bathroom door, watching Theo as he bathed. "You have no protections, and I cannot come with you."

Theodore teased, "Ah, I didn't know you cared."

Lukas snapped, "Of course I care. You are a friend." His gaze shifted away from the Prince. Friends had become a rarity for him, and trust even more so. Theodore, the third son of the Kingdom, was one of the precious few. But like all of Lukas's companions, Theodore valued his independence and resisted Lukas's attempts to protect him fully. He refused to grant Lukas unfettered access to his mind.

Theodore's voice drew Lukas's attention back to his face. "I will be fine. I've done this so many times."

Lukas replied, "Yes, but who is this woman they are transporting? Why now? Why here?"

"She is a priestess, one who was of high rank. She was somehow involved in Raja's escape, so the Queen has chosen to punish her."

"A priestess who helped Raja?" It had to be Rosemund. She was alive. "Then, of course, you must rescue her, but let me help you."

Theodore started to speak, but suddenly, his body slumped. Frightened for his friend, Lukas rushed to him, ready to pull him out of the water. But once close enough, Lukas witnessed with awe the Water embracing Theo's body, keeping his head up, cushioning it, and knowing who had called him. Lukas pulled the chair from near the vanity and sat beside the Prince. He did not entirely trust the Elementals, so he would remain to protect his friend and learn what the Elemental Master had to say.

***

Once the Masters had departed, Paulo took a moment to center himself. With a quiet determination, he immersed his hands into the cool water of the bowl, closed his eyes, and focused his thoughts, beckoning for the Lady to appear in his Mindspace.

"Lady, can you locate a ship that travels with a spark of Fire? It has left the Queendom and should be passing near the Kingdom, but I don't know more."

"We do not need to search, friend. Our brother Air is guiding her vessel toward land even now. We are steering them towards your mate," the Lady replied, appearing before him in her youngest form. Her luscious chestnut hair tumbled in cascading waves around her head, moving with a graceful undulation as if submerged in a tranquil pool. The light delicately caught her eyes, revealing a profound, age-old wisdom that defied her youthful visage. An ethereal calm emanated from her presence, accompanied by a soft, melodic whisper that seemed to trail in her wake.

"Why?" he asked, his voice edged with confusion.

The Elementals had acted independently, their rationale shrouded in mystery. Why had they singled out Theodore as Paulo's mate? This notion stirred a deep sense of unease within him. The unexpected interference was disconcerting, and Theodore's involvement amplified his worry to a degree that proved difficult to shake. The uncertainty gnawed at him, casting a shadow over his thoughts.

"Our brother requested our aid in saving his friend. His acolyte healed our sister and took great risks to reunite our brother and sister," Lady Water stated, her tone measured and detached. She lifted her shoulders in a movement that could almost be interpreted as a shrug before turning her head to gaze into the distance. "It is not often that our brother Fire and we align in purpose, for we frequently find ourselves at odds, but in this instance, we shall assist his friend."

"I hope this unexpected help benefits us," Paulo murmured under his breath, knowing the Lady could hear him if she chose. He sighed, not wanting to argue with the temperamental Elemental. He still required more of her. "I need to speak to Prince Theo. Can you help?"