Ch 3

When we got home, I went straight to my room without acknowledging Frank or any of my brothers. I sat on my bed and stared out the window replaying today's events in my head.

After I'd had some time alone, I decided to head downstairs. Dante was making fettuccine Alfredo and the rest of the boys were sitting on the couch. I walked over to jack and sat next to him, he wrapped his arms around me and kissed the top of my head.

"Shit!! This is why we don't fucking bring her along!!" I heard Leo shouting from the office.

Jack covered my ears and rocked me in his arms. I tried to pretend I hadn't heard Leo and that I wasn't the slightest bit hurt.

"Natalia, I'm sorry," jack finally said, referring to Leo's yelling.

"It's fine!" I snapped. I was irritated, even though I knew he just wanted to make sure I was okay.

"Natalia," he scolded in a warning tone. I mumbled an apology and stuffed my face into his shoulder. He rubbed my back and tried to comfort me.

"Hey guys dinner's ready!" Dante shouted from the kitchen. We all got up and walked to the table where we sat in our unspoken assigned seats.

Leo, Matteo and Jack sat on one side of the table and Rocco, Dante, and I sat in on the other. We left the heads of the table empty because that was where mom and dad sat. The boys made small talk and I picked at my food. Once they had all finished, I hadn't even eaten half.

"Eat your food Natalia," Leo ordered. His New York accent was thick.

"I'm not hungry," I mumbled.

"Did it sound like I fucking asked??"

"Leo! Give her a break!" Matteo said.

"May I be excused?" I said, holding back hot tears.

"Go," Leo said. I put my plate in the sink and hurriedly walked up the stairs.

I sat on the edge of my bed and just stared at the ground. I heard a soft knock on my door and looked up as Leo opened it and walked in. He sat on the bed next to me.

"Natalia, I'm sorry if I was harsh. Are you okay?"

I didn't say anything.

"You gotta fucking talk to me, girl," he said.

"I'm fine." I said coldly.

We sat in silence. I think Leo was waiting for me to say something else. My phone pinged and the screen lit up. I glanced down at it and saw it was from Nick, the neighborhood boy I'd met earlier. I got a little nervous as Leo turned his head to look at the screen.

"Who is Nick?" He looked into my eyes and I stared up at him, deciding what to say.

"Oh he's the boy who moved in just up the street," I decided to tell the truth.

"And why the fuck is he texting you?"

"Because we're friends, Leo!" He gave me a confused look. "I can have friends can't I?"

"Now isn't the time for an attitude, young lady," his stern tone made my chest tight.

"I wasn't..."

"It's okay, kid. Now go to sleep please." He squeezed me tight and got up to leave. He carefully shut my door and I went to get ready for bed.

The next morning I woke up to a heavy weight falling on top of me followed by another, and another. I opened my eyes to see Jack, Rocco, and Matteo piled on top of me.

"Hey what the fuck?" I said.

"Good morning little sis!!"

"Morning Natty!!"