Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"This is the main town. Everyone spends a lot of time here in the park and the main square." Aspen tells me. People pass by and gawk at me and Aspen. Girls wink at Aspen and he doesn't even spare them a glance. Some people oddly bow before Aspen as we cross the busy street.

"You're very famous here?" I ask and he chuckles while nodding.

"You could say that I guess. I'm mostly just friendly." He smiles revealing his perfect teeth and dimples.

"I believe it." I laugh and he grasps my hand in his. I feel these little sparks crawl up my arm every time he touches me. I wonder if he feels them too and everytime he looks at me, I feel like I am connected to him somehow. He would think I'm crazy if he knew this.

We walk down the sidewalk hand in hand as people look at us and mostly at me. Probably because I was missing for a while and my parents probably brodcasted it everywhere.

"Come with me. I want to show you one of the best things about this town. Do you like ice cream?" He asks and I nod. He drags me forward and pulls me into a shop called Sandy's Ice cream and the place is full of people. We stand in line and he smiles clearly excited. We get up to the counter and the cashier smiles at us.

"Hey Alpha! Who is this beautiful lady?" The cashier Sandy says smiling at us. She looks to be about 30 and she has blonde straight hair. Aspen smiles and winks at me. Did she just call him Alpha? Maybe it's a nickname. I'll ask him about it later.

"This is Lacey Wallace. She is my new best friend and she is staying with me for a while." He smiles looking at me happily. Fine! I admit it! I really like him! I've never had these feelings before except with my last boyfriend Trey and I still don't think they were this strong.

"Well you are very pretty! What can I get you guys today?" She asks.

"I want a triple chocolate fudge Ice cream in a cone." Aspen says sounding like a child.

"As usual! What for you dear?" She asks me and I immediately scoour the menu for my favorite ice cream.

"I want the cotton candy explosion in a cone." I say and she smiles. Aspen pays and I get my ice cream. We sit next to the window in a booth. Aspen's ice cream is chocolate ice cream with chocolate chips and cookies covered in a chocolate sauce.

"Cotton candy and pop rocks?" He asks looking at my ice cream. I nod and eat a bite.

"So this is your favorite place to come?" I ask him and he nods eating a chunk of chocolate chips.

"Yes one of them. Sandy is a really good friend of my mothers." He tells me and I smile.

"It seems like a real homey town. Everyone knows you."

"Yeah I really like to talk to people." He says scarfing down his Ice cream. I take this moment to look out the window and look at the people. They all seem to know each other as well.

"So how did you get the nickname Alpha?" I ask curiously. He suddenly looks up from his ice cream as if ive shocked him.

"Where'd you hear that from?" He smiles a little. I can tell he's hiding something.

"Sandy called you that. I assumed it was your nickname or something. If it's personal you don't have to tell me. I understand." I say taking another bite of my ice cream.

"It's a long story. I'll tell you another day. So do you like this town better than the old one?" He asks with a hint of playfullness in his eyes. His eyes are gorgeous and shine like stars. I could stare at them all day.

"I like my friends a lot better." I say hoping he didn't catch my confession.

Aspen's POV

She blushes at her previous phrase and I know she hopes I didn't catch what she is saying. I think my mate might like me. I just really hope she does. I've brought her to the place where all the surrounding packs hang out. We have meetings, parties, and all sorts of things here. The best thing is that we all are allies. Some of Lacey's old pack come here also. It's a farther commute but it's necessary.

It's only been a few days since she first came here and I already feel like she is making progress.

"Can you believe that-"

"Lacey?" A guy interrupts coming up to our table. He looks about her age and he is a shifter. He is tall and has blonde hair and blue eyes to match. He looks strong and I can smell that he is from her old pack and he is unmated. He looks at her in disbelief and his eyes hold something that looks like love.

"Trey." She speaks softly and refuses to meet his eye. Who is he? How does she know him?

"Oh my gosh! I can't believe it's you! Where have you been?! I tried talking to your dad after someone finally told me they found you but he just brushed me off and told me you were okay! Why didn't you call me?" Trey rants. I remember him from other meetings with her father. He is one of the warrior fighters from her old pack.

"I live with Aspen now. He found me and offered to let me stay with him for a while. I haven't talked to anyone I used to know except my family. It's to hard." She says finally meeting his eye. He looks mad and a little hurt at her phrase. I have to let him know who I am. He has eyes of love for her.

"This is my ex boyfriend Trey." She says looking to me.

"Oh. I wasn't aware we broke up." He says with a sad smile. Lacey meets my eye and looks stuck in a hard place. I know I'm going to have to say some things she wont understand for me to explain who I am to him. Silence passes between us and he only looks like he is growing more angry by the minute. He suddenly looks to me with all of his built up anger.

"So I'm guessing your her new boyfriend now?" He scoffs and looks at me like i'm lower than him. I chuckle at this thought.

"Well actually i'm her mate." I watch his eyes grow cold at my words and she eats her ice cream to distract him from her attention.

"Alpha Aspen Waters." I say sticking out my hand to shake. His eyes look to me and once to her. He lets out a low growl before storming out of the ice cream shop. He meets a few friends and walks off with them. I take Lacey's hand in mine and pull her to her feet.

"C'mon. Let's go home." I say and she nods a small nod. I have a lot of things to explain.