7

It had been three and a half months. Every two weeks Darryl and Zak would meet up at the mine entrance. They would laugh and tell each other about their clans but slowly without knowing they began to get a lot closer. Slowly each of them began to want more than just friendship but they were scared of being hurt and ruining their bond. Soon other members of their clans began to notice how often they would leave and their change in attitude. Zak had been leaving a lot more frequently than usual and Darryl started to defend the Ponto clan whenever someone in his own clan was talking down about them.

As Zak rode off into the distance on his horse, Zelk watched him curiously. "Mega, go follow him, make sure to be as quiet as you can." Mega nodded and headed to the stables where his own horse was. He jumped onto his Amber coloured horse and rode in the direction that Zak had headed, determined to find out what Zak had been up to.

Darryl gave Zak's Snow White horse an apple, which he kept in his bag, while Zak tied it up to a tree. Darryl had a lot on his mind as he was wanting to tell Zak the truth, the truth about how he felt. Each minute they spent together he began to grow more and more nervous, constantly getting doubts about telling him. Eventually, they sat down in a quiet spot, "So how have you fourteen days without me been?"
"Oh my goodness Zak, enough with the fourteen!" Zak laughed and Darryl smiled, "What do you have against fourteen?"
"Nothing! It's just you say it all the time!"
"And? That's no reason to hate the number fourteen!"
"You also have the mentality of fourteen-year-old,"
"Hey!" Zak laughed and tackled Darryl to the ground as he giggled to himself. They stared at each other and Darryl's breaths became shallow as his face turned a bright red. Zak rolled over and laid next Darryl on the soft, green grass. He brushed his fingers through his hair then spoke softly, "Darryl I-I need to tell you something." Darryl could hear the nervousness in Zak's voice as he stuttered, "Darryl, I've been keeping a secret from you... I-I... we've been growing closer lately and I can't help but... how do I say this?" Darryl turned over and faced Zak, he held his hand smiled, "Zak, I love you too." Zak blink, surprised by Darryl's reply, the surprise quickly faded away when Zak brushed his hand against Darryl's face. He pulled him close and pressed his lips up against Darryl's. He had longed for this. Once he pulled away to breathe he stared into Darryl's green eyes, "you taste like muffins..."
"What?!" Darryl's face became even redder as Zak laughed.

Mega sat on his horse and watched Zak and Darryl laughing together, that moment was all the evidence he needed. He commanded his horse to turn around and go back to base. As it began to run, Zak heard its hooves pounding against the forest floor. Immediately Zak untied his horse and climbed on top of it. He knew a short cut to the lake so that he could cut off Mega. He made it to the lake and waited for mega, after waiting for twenty seconds, he showed up. Zak cut him off, "Mega! Stop! I don't know what you saw but please! Don't tell anyone!!" He shouted as he jumped off his horse and ran towards Mega. Mega glared at him and began to sign, "Why shouldn't I?" Zak had been practising sign language more and was now pretty good at it. "Please Mega! You can't! Everyone would make a fool out of me!" Mega continued to glare at him, Zak's eyes began to water, "please Mega! I beg of you! Don't. Tell. Anyone! Please!" Zak pleaded with Mega until he finally let out a sigh, Mega nodded in frustration. "I'll tell them that I couldn't find you." Mega signed and Zak sighed in relief.

When Mega returned to the village, Harvey and Finn noticed how frustrated he looked. Harvey handed him a pencil and paper, "What happened Mega?" He asked. Mega scribbled down some words on the paper, threw it on the ground and stormed off. Finn picked it up a read it aloud, "I couldn't find him."