The Christmas Parade

The Christmas Tree parade began with Eva the elf in a rut. She was tired of playing second fiddle to Santa and no longer wanted to toil away at toymaking, gingerbread house constructing, nor carol singing. She wanted more, one of the prime-time tasks: the list, delivery, or picking out the Christmas tree.

Eva took one last swig from her hot chocolate and marched into the big man's office. Santa looked up at her with his rosy cheeks and cherry nose. Only a slight startle twinkled in his eyes.

"Eva, everything alright?" His voice was jolly even in his surprised state.

"Boss, I'm ready for more responsibility. I want one of the crucial tasks."

Santa thoughtfully paused before asking, "what did you have in mind?"

"I want to pick out the Christmas tree," Eva spoke confidently.

"Oh, well; don't you think another task would be more suitable for you?" Santa offered gently.

"No, sir. I have given this a lot of thought and I am ready for the responsibility."

"Very well. Just remember, if you ever need help, just ask." Santa gave a slight nod before smoothing his beard and returning to his famous list.

Eva diligently set about finding the perfect tree; she knew she had to impress after the bluster she had carried into Santa's office. She scoured the forest until she found the perfect Christmas tree. Luckily, her Toyota's small size easily maneuvered amongst the trees, so she didn't need to drag the tree far. But when she arrived, she realized another problem: her perfect tree would never fit in her elf-sized car.

Eva pondered for a moment as Santa's offer of help rolled in her head. A simple call and Santa would be there with his sleigh to help transport the perfection Eva had found, but she was too stubborn. With the skill that only a master toy-maker had, she cut the roof from her car and tugged the tree inside. As she drove through Snowflake Square, she blasted Christmas Tree to cheers from the elves, thus starting a new tradition: the Christmas Tree parade.