Ch. 17

"Could you get that?" Nini asked Brookelynn as the doorbell rang once again, "I have to get the cheese platter."

The wedding party she had planned was up on its feet. She recently found out that Laura had a son of her own. His name is Logan and he was flying in from Austin, Texas. Nini scrambled to get the forgotten cheese platter out of the fridge.

"Sure" Brookelynn said, walking to the front door. A few minutes later, Nini was searching through the fridge for the missing cheese platter. I swore I put it in here, she thought to herself. "Excuse me, are you Nina Bowen?" Someone said, startling Nini causing her to knock her head on the top of the fridge. She bit back a cuss as she turned to see a tall, blonde man with blue eyes.

"Yes, but please... call me Nini." She told him, holding out her hand for the man to shake.

He smiled brightly and shook her hand in return. "I'm Logan, Laura's son. Nice to meet you." He told her while handing her a tray of brownies.

"Great to meet you. Must be a little strange, huh? Finding out your mom married someone on a whim." She asked him.

He chuckled. "Believe it or not, she's done crazier things. It would be weirder if I was still a kid but luckily that's not the case. Do you need help looking for something?" He asked, nodding his head towards the fridge behind her.

"Oh, no. You should go find your mom and enjoy the party. I was just looking for a cheese platter that mysteriously disappeared." She told him while shaking her head.

"The cheese platter?" Logan asked.

"Yeah."

"Some guy with red hair was walking around with it." Logan said. "I saw him briefly in your living room."

"Red?" Nini scowled, "What's he doing home? Please, excuse me."

Nini hurried out into the crowd and easily spotted the red-head, cheese platter in hand like a personal plate.

"Big Red!" she snapped.

Red jumped and twirled around, cheese falling to the floor.

"Oh, hey sis."

Nini glared at him and held out her hands. He slowly handed her the platter.

"What are you doing here, Red?" she asked.

"Am I not allowed to be here?" He asked, jokingly scrunching his eyebrows.

Nini rolled her eyes. "Of course you're allowed to be here. I just figured you'd want to be with Ricky."

"Hey, Nins... is your friend Ashlyn here?" He asked the brunette, hesitantly.

Nini raised her eyebrows and gave him a small smirk. Red and Ashlyn had been hanging out quite a lot before leaving for Ricky's tour. She could tell that Red was starting to have feelings for one of her best friends and she thought it was adorable. He would visit the bakery every chance he had.

"Yeah, she was in the back yard last time I checked." She smirked at him.

He nodded and ran to the backyard, yelling out a quick "thanks" and then he was gone. Nini shook her head, smiling and then went to go greet more guests.

The party went on for a bit when she got a text from Ricky telling her to turn the TV on to one of the pay-per-view channels. She did and found out that his and Taylor's Nashville concert was on it. Her husband texted her again to tell everyone to listen.

"Excuse me! Excuse me!" she tried to get everyone's attention but wasn't succeeding.

Kourtney rolled her eyes from beside her and let out whistle. The crowd went quiet.

"Hey everyone, thanks for coming. My husband has something to say." she said, turning up the TV volume.

Soon Ricky was up on stage, the crowd going wild.

"Hello, Nashville!" he shouted, "I just want to say something before me and my good friend Taylor start our show tonight."

The cameras focused in on Ricky.

"I just want to say congratulations to my good friend, David and his new wife, Laura. Welcome to the family, Laura and many well wishes to you both. This song is called 'Anyone Else'." He said into the mic.

Nini turned down the TV after dedicating the song to the newlyweds, and sent a thank you text for Ricky to get later.

"I-I have something too, Dave." she said.

Nini took a deep breath and sat at the piano. She noticed her hands were shaking and tried to steady them. Dave looked at her with pride. He knew how hard it was for Nini to sing in front of people.

She took a breath, slammed her eyes shut and began playing.

Those schoolgirl days, of telling tales and biting nails are gone,
But in my mind,
I know they will still live on and on,
But how do you thank someone, who has taken you from crayons to perfume?
It isn't easy, but I'll try,

If you wanted the sky I would write across the sky in letters,
That would soar a thousand feet high,
To Sir, with Love

The time has come,
For closing books and long last looks must end,
And as I leave,
I know that I am leaving my best friend,
A friend who taught me right from wrong,
And weak from strong,
That's a lot to learn,
What, what can I give you in return?

If you wanted the moon I would try to make a start,
But I, would rather you let me give my heart,
To Sir, with Love

She opened her eyes to applause. She had done it. She had actually performed in front of people.

"Nini." her David's voice was raspy, "That was beautiful, honey. Thank you."

Nini hurried into his arms, knowing he was thanking her for more than the song.

"You're welcome, Dave." she said shakily.

Maybe this stage fright stuff was nothing.
________________________________
Things are coming