Ultron

We walked under the crumbling arc that used to be the door.

"Talk. And if you're wasting our time." I began.

"Did you know this church is in the exact center of the city? The elders decreed it so that everyone could be equally close to God. I like that. The geometry of belief." Said a mechanically voice from behind a chair. I moved forward. I had been trying to read him since we walked in the building. "You're wondering why you can't look inside my head?" He asked.

"Sometimes it's hard, but sooner or later every man shows himself." I replied. The man stood up, a cloak of some kind dropping from off of him, revealing a humanoid robot made entirely of metal.

"No, I'm sure they do. But you needed something more than a man." He began walking down the steps. "That's why you let Stark take the Scepter."

"I didn't except." I began, trying to find the words. "But, I saw Stark's fear. I knew it would control him, make him self destruct." The robot began to pace around the small room.

"Everyone creates the thing the dread. Men of peace create engines of war, invaders create Avengers, people create........smaller people. Uh, children! Lost the word there. Children, designed to supplant them, to help them......end." I scrunched my eyebrows in slight confusion.

"Is that why you've come?" I asked. "To end the Avengers?" He turned to look at me.

"I've come to save the world. But also, yeah." He turned around and urged us to follow him. Pietro whispered to me as we walked.

"This is what we were waiting for? Another one of Stark's machines?" I shook my head.

"This one Stark did not create. At least not on purpose."

*   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   *   

The robot walked into the facility that we knew all too well.

"Why are we here?" Pietro asked.

"This is where the fun begins." the robot replied. We followed him into the hidden room that was still surprisingly full of all the technology and gadgets from before the raid. But, this time there were fully build robots instead of the beginnings of them.

"We'll move out right away. This is a start, but there's something we need to begin the real work." He explained.

"All of theses are-" I started.

"Me. I have what the Avengers never will. Harmony. They're discordant, disconnected. Stark's already got them turning on each other, and when you get inside the rest of their heads." He pointed at me. 

"Everyone's plan is not to kill them." Pietro interrupted, rolling his eyes.

"And make them martyrs. You need patients. You need to see the big picture." I knew exactly where this conversation was going. 

"I don't see the big picture. I have a little picture." He began. "I take it out and look at it, everyday." I'd heard this story many times before.

"You lost your parents in the bombings." The robot said. "I've seen the records."

"The records are not the picture." I stepped up to Pietro, warning him not to continue in fear of what this thing could do if we made him angry.

"No, please." He waved me aside. I turned around.

"We were ten years old, having dinner, the four of us. And the first shell hits two floors below it makes a hole in the floor, it's big. Our parents go in and the whole building starts coming apart. I grab her, roll under the bed, the second shell hits, but it doesn't go off. It just.....sits there in the rubble three feet from our faces. And on the side of the shell is painted one word-"