Chapter 4: Need

As I trudged through the Sand, a rod with milk jugs hanging from it over my shoulders, I sighed in relief as the Oasis came into view. It had a small tree, the water sparkled, grass grew around the water, and a small bush with berries grew close to the tree. I ran down the hill, half falling and half sliding through the Sand. I came here once every week to refill. A discovery I made a while back when I pissed off a small Zephie patrol group and had to run like Hell. I saw foot prints.

I refilled the jugs and stood, keeping my breathing quiet. I heard a click.
Well fuck.

"Listen here, kid. Yer gonna gimme that there water and everything else you got! Got it?" He yelled in a thick country accent. I turned to see a face more ugly than a Zephie. He was balding, yellow teeth, a massive beer-belly, and his breath was horrid.

"You sound as bad as the aliens. Your grammar blows." I said calmly.

"I said to gimme all you got!" He screamed, pushing the barrel of a shotgun to my chest. I could feel the cold steel through my thin shirt.

"Let me just get the water." I said, looking down at the jugs of full water.

"Fine!"

I went to grab them, pushing them in.

"Damn! I will go get them, okay?" I asked.

"Hurry up!" He yelled again as I dove in.

I grinned under the water, drawing a pistol and aiming to his fat stomach.
Bang.

He fell back, holding his stomach as I climbed from the water.

"Fuckin' kid!" He gasped, coughing blood.

I mocked his accent, "Fuckin' redneck."

I didn't look down as I pulled the trigger, his brains splattering around that balding head of his. I grabbed his gun and hung it with the water jugs and whistled as I headed to my bunker.