Chapter 2: An Echo and Ruins

I shouldered my bag and sighed.

"They look like skeletons..."

In front of me stood a silent city. Sand and ash covered the ground and buildings. The wind made a whistle sound as it passed through the ruins, almost following me as I walked through the shells of buildings.

Ruins isn't completely accurate. Most of the buildings still stood. I say ruins because what else is there to call the once busy streets that now are lifeless. This wasn't a city anymore. Civilation is gone. The goverment is gone. Democracy is gone. Order is gone. Hell, there isn't even chaos. Nobody is here to cause chaos or create order. The only law was that humans die.

I was snapped back from my wandering thoughrs by a loud squeek of a child's toy as I stepped on a doll without a head. I kneeled down and picked it up, slipping it in my bag.

A loud growl came from the shadows.
Damn!

The sound must have attracted an animal!

An ugly creature emerged from a door way. Picture a full grown Greyhound with rabies. Now multiply the size by three, add another tail, a glowing green eye, and blood stained teeth. There you go. That is as close as it gets to what came out.

"Bad dog! Go!" I yelled.
Oops.

It snarled and ran at me.

"Down boy." I whispered as a gun shot followed by a howl and whimper rang through the ruins.