XV

When I get outside , I see my dad's car. He puts the window down, as I approach the car , and calmly says , " Hey sweetie."

I get in the car and say , " Hey."

We sit in silence for the first 45 minutes of the car ride. Then I notice that we're not heading in the direction of our house , so I ask , " Where are we going?"

" I have some business to do and I figured you need a breather from the house." My dad says.

" Oh okay." I say. " What's the business you have to do?"

" Well we're expanding our franchise of smoothies, so I'm looking at old places that have been abandoned. You know demolish it , rebuild. All that good stuff." He says.

" Where are we staying?" I ask.

" In the best hotels near the areas." He says.

" Where are we going now?" I ask.

" To the Sommeil hotel. It's near the first abandoned site." He says.

" Oh okay." I say. " Can we get something to eat?"

" Yeah. We won't be checking out the sites until the morning." He says.

" Alright." I say.

We spend the next ten minutes in eerie silence as I muster up the nerve to ask him a question. I'm scared of the answer but I have to be brave , like Ezme. In a tiny voice I ask , " Dad? Do you believe me?"

" Of course I do." He answers honestly.

" Thank you ," I mutter under my breath. I let out a low sigh and began to relax. It feels good to have someone believe in you. It makes me feel a little less secluded in this self reserved isolated mind of mine.

We drive for thirty minutes and then we get to the hotel. It's an all white hotel that offers a comforting fragrance as soon as you enter. Even though it's extravagant it's also warm and comforting , and has the type of atmosphere that makes you want to stay forever. My dad and I get two different rooms , I order room service and the rest of the night is history.

The next morning I wake up to the sound of nothing. I didn't dream of Ezme and there is no chance that I could pick up where the dream left off. I get myself out of bed and get ready for another day.

I decided to order room service. As I was just about to pick up the phone to dial room service , I heard a knock on the door. I open the door and see my dad. " Did you eat breakfast yet?" He asks , concerned.

" No. I was just about to order room service." I say.

" Great. We haven't had breakfast together in a while , so do you want to eat breakfast?" He asks.

" Sure." I say.

" Great." He enthusiastically says.

I look at my robe and say, " Um I don't have any clothes to change into."

" Oh right." He says. " I'll get you something and we can look for something else later."

" Okay." I say.

" Since it'll take a while to get some clothes for you , order a light snack." He says.

" Alright." I say as I pick up the menu that was left in the room.

" It can't be junk food." He strictly says.

" You're no fun." I say.

He leaves and I order a mango , strawberry , kiwi , and pineapple fruit salad. It takes him thirty minutes to return to the room , and I must say he has good taste. I am not appalled by what he chose, and I thank him for bringing me clothes. He told me to change , and that he'd be waiting for me in the lobby. I get changed into a black off the shoulder crop top , black and white striped pants, and black sneakers.