Chapter 25 part 2

Ravenclaw stood stock still, his heart hammering in his chest. He stared at his leader, astounded. Gasps of shock rose around the camp.
    "What makes him so special?" Darkstorm grumbled. Ravenclaw turned to look at Blackpelt, who stared back at him with a mixture of surprise and fear. What would happen to him now? Would he have to become bloodthirsty to save his own life? And what about Cindercloud? Could they still sneak around and be mates? So many questions swam through his head, threatening to overwhelm him. He felt Lizardpaw shift beside him, but his apprentice said nothing. Instead, Redwing, the medicine cat, herded him to his den while the rest of the clan began to split up, muttering in small groups. Jaggedclaw took a patrol of cats to bury Switcheye. Spottedflower followed them, head and tail drooping. Shadepaw didn't seem all too upset about his mother's death. He was instead boasting to Finchwing about how he had shredded his brother, and how Switcheye had not liked it, so Mudstar had killed her. He seemed to enjoy the fact that his father and leader killed his mother.
    Mudstar padded up to his new deputy and sat down.
    "I can tell you are surprised by my decision. I can practically hear your questions: 'why not a more ruthless warrior like Jaggedclaw or Brokenfoot. Or Blazeheart, who had taken over when your former mate was with the kits?' These questions are simple: I see potential in you that I don't see in any of my warriors, despite you not completely agreeing with my way of life. Trust me my deputy. That is about to change!" Mudstar's voice rose in excitement. "I am going to crack your shell, reveal the darkness inside of you that I know exists. Even if I have to break you, piece by piece. Trust me Ravenclaw. The fun has only just begun." Mudstar snarled the last words in his ear before padding away, leaving Ravenclaw more afraid than he had ever been in his life...

Cindercloud sat at the border, hoping Ravenclaw would show up. She had thought long and hard about what she was going to do, however much it broke her own heart. But she was deputy now, and she had to do what she had to do. Rustling in the undergrowth made her perk her ears. Ravenclaw slid out, spotting her. She was surprised he had come to the border when they agreed to only meet at gatherings.
"We need to talk." Ravenclaw said, not evening allowing Cindercloud to get the first word.
"Yes we do." Cindercloud padded to sit beside him, noticing he looked stiffer and more alert than ever. There was a hunted look in his eye that scared her. "What's wrong?" She asked
"I'm deputy." He started, his voice dull; no excitement edged his tone. She could understand why: he hated Mudstar.
"That's good though right? Now when Mudstar dies you can change your clan!"
Cindercloud said, trying to lighten the mood "It's not that simple." Ravenclaw said, sounding miserable. "Mudstar killed Switcheye." He said. Cindercloud gasped, listening to his story with rising horror. "He said he is going to break me, piece by piece. I'm scared Cindercloud." He said, voice choked. Cindercloud didn't know how to respond.
     "I'm sure he is just trying to intimidate you." Cindercloud said, her voice sounding hollow. Ravenclaw gave her an incredulous look.
      "He does not give empty words, you know that better than anyone in your own clan."
    "Why don't you run away and join my clan?" Cindercloud asked hopefully. Ravenclaw stared at her and let out a mrrow of bitter laughter.
     "Falconstar would never let me join, and Mudstar will find me and kill me. I'll be okay Cindercloud. I won't let him break me. I will be a loyal deputy, serve my dues, and once he dies, I will restore the honor of my clan." Ravenclaw promised, pressing against her. Cindercloud leaned into him, tempted to drown in his scent, before she pushed away, remembering what she needed to say. But Ravenclaw beat her to it.
     "We can't be together anymore." He started. Cindercloud was going to say the same thing, but hearing it from him hurt.
     "I know. I agree." Cindercloud said sadly. "We are both deputies of our clans. We cannot serve our clans loyally if we are breaking the warrior code." She said.
    "Yes. And if Mudstar found out, especially with me as deputy, he would kill me." Ravenclaw said.
     "I don't regret the time we spent together." Cindercloud meowed, pressing against him again. "A part of me will always love you." She added.
     "And I you." He said.
    "Can we still be friends and see each other at gatherings?" She asked.
     "Try and stop me." He said, voice choked.
     "And what about Maplefrost?" She asked.
     "We can see her at gatherings as well, but we cannot meet in secret, but we agreed to that already." Ravenclaw replied. "Now, I should go before I get caught. I will always remember our time together." He pressed against her for the last time. Cindercloud pressed her head to his shoulder before he broke off and raced away without looking back.
     "Goodbye, Ravenclaw. I will always love you."