Chapter 15 : 1999

The Burrow - January 7, 1999

Today was the day that Bill Weasley would finally finish his first 6 months of training and see if he was going to be offered an apprenticeship. The past 6 months had been some of the hardest of his life.

Every day he went into the bank and would work and study until he was exhausted. He would go home and fall into bed, sleep, wake up in the morning and do it all again. It was a never ending routine, he didn't even have weekends off. He was ready for it all to be over, one way or another, but he wouldn't change a moment of it.

The worst part of his training was actually the time he spent at home. His mother made her opinion of his choice of the career perfectly clear. His two youngest siblings were following her lead. Ron and Ginny were both being complete brats to him. Ron was always going on about how he was never going to amount to anything, while Ginny was constantly making little digs about how he was going to fail.

When he went down to breakfast it reminded him a lot of the day he had received his NEWT results. His younger siblings, other than Ron and Ginny who were once again still asleep, and his father were there to support him. His mother was standing by the table with a sanctimonious smirk. Bill knew that she was expecting him to fail, he really hoped he didn't so that he could rub it in her face.

After breakfast was finished Bill got up to leave. He was surprised when his father, Charlie, Percy, Fred, and George all got up with him.

"What are you guys doing?" Bill asked.

"We're going with you for moral support." Arthur said. "Molly?"

"I have no intention of supporting this idiocy. When he has his heart broken I will be here to pick up the pieces, like usual. Then we can try and get him a job in the ministry. Though, it will be harder now, but I'm sure we can convince Albus to assist."

All the other males in the kitchen rolled their eyes and flooed to Diagon Alley. Molly was furious as they left. The only solace she had in the blatant disregard from her family was that she knew that, thanks to Severus, though she would never admit she owed him, Bill wouldn't be getting a job at the bank. Once the boys were all gone she quickly flooed Albus to let him know that they were in the Alley.

Gringotts Bank

Walking down the Alley, heading for Gringotts, Albus Dumbledore himself appeared in the crowd.

"Arthur my boy, what brings you to the Alley on this fine day? Hello boys, lemon drop?" Albus was dressed in glaring magenta robes with lime green sparkles. All the children had to work not to shield their eyes from the painful sight. They all declined the sweets.

"Hello Albus. We were just on our way to the bank to see if Bill's gotten his apprenticeship as a curse breaker. The rest of us came along to see. What are you doing here today?" Arthur was a little wary when he saw the headmaster.

"I just came to order a few new robes and pick up some more lemon drops." Albus smiled and both his eyes and robes twinkled. "If it isn't too much to ask, I think I will come with you. William always was one of our brightest Gryffindor's."

When Bill didn't reject the idea, Arthur agreed.

Walking towards the bank, Bill took everyone in through the staff entrance. He made sure to show respect to any goblin they passed, he noticed his father and brothers followed his example, but the headmaster showed nothing but contempt. Bill had learned quickly that it was a bad idea to cross a goblin.

Entering one of the side rooms they all took a seat and waited patiently for Bills training goblin, Silveraxe, to arrive. Well, the Weasley's were waiting patiently, Dumbledore wouldn't shut up. He kept asking stupid questions and assuring Bill that he would be able to get him a job at the ministry if things didn't work out. He told them that Bill might have to accept a lower position since all the higher level positions would have been filled by the students that applied as soon as they finished school.