19. Seasick

The royal progress wastes no time in reaching Goldeport, the glittering port city of House Rosenford. Myria peers through the carriage window to see tall wood and stone buildings flanking either side of the street before they reach the harbor. Endless faces meet hers in between doors and alleys. It is a vibrant city filled with street vendors, market stalls, food peddlers, and running children, bringing a slight smile to Myria's face.

The ships waiting at the harbor are another sight to behold for her altogether. Living in Everhaven her entire life, she has never seen a boat or any other water transport. The royal galleon anchored at a distance is a magnificent display of power, wealth, and influence. Even from afar, the red and lion flag billows visibly proud at its mast. It is so massive, Myria learns, that it cannot dock at the harbor, and everyone has to be ferried over on rowboats. The royal family and House Rosenford naturally take precedence, but other lesser families and nonessential luggage are loaded on other boats that will accompany the royal ship to Westhaven.

Duke Aelric, Sigurd and Brigid's father, is waiting for the court procession at the harbor, greeting King Uriel with a low, humble bow. Lord Sigurd all but skips up to his father, his animated movements making Myria think he is restless to be on the water.

"Rosenfords spend most of their time at sea after all," Brigid explains to her in a low murmur.

Myria nods in kind, as if this is the most natural piece of information she's ever heard.

"Your majesties," booms Duke Aelric in a deep voice, gesturing to the royal ship behind him. "I am proud to present your new vessel, and I thank you for trusting House Rosenford with its construction."

"Does she have a name yet?" King Uriel asks, appraising it with admiration.

Duke Aelric inclines his head towards the queen. "I was thinking Elorya for her majesty?"

Queen Eloria gives Aelric a thin smile, waving his platitudes away as if they are smoke. "Please, I have had countless ships named after me. Perhaps Leor can find a suitable name? After all, he is the focus of the summer."

Duke Rosenford responds in such a manner that suggests that this is the best idea he's ever heard of. Myria has to hide a snort behind her hand.

While they wait for the rowboat, Brigid pulls Myria by the arm, dragging her towards Aelric. "Father, this is Lady Myria," she introduces excitedly.

Myria curtsies as she feels the duke's eyes assess her. "A pleasure, my lord," she greets.

There is a shine of recognition in the duke's eyes that suggest he is familiar with her name. "Yes, Lady Myria of House Bramble, correct?"

Myria nods.

"I have heard much of your exploits this summer—a riveting joust, aiding my injured son. I also heard that you are the lady to watch out for at court. I regret not being there to make your acquaintance sooner."

"Both Lady Brigid and Lord Sigurd have been pleasant companions this summer. I am eager to see more of their home and family."

Duke Aelric flashes a smile at the compliment, one that is just as blinding as any grin she's seen from Sigurd. "You flatter me, Lady Myria." He turns back to the royal family. "I've received the guestlist count for lodging and meals, but is there anyone else we can expect? Rumors are going around about the Spymaster—"

King Uriel shakes his head. "I received some correspondence, but the Spymaster is to meet us when we disembark at Westhaven.

When the conversation continues safely without her, Myria turns to Brigid. "Who is the Spymaster?"