3. Dance

The ballroom is much larger than any room Myria has ever been in. The floor is tiled and polished to a gleaming shine, and the ceiling reaches to a two-story height with tall windows to show the evening sky. Tables line the far wall, laden with a number of foods and drinks she has never seen, but it is the mass of swirling gowns dancing to the band of instrumentalists that overwhelms Myria the most. She has never seen so many people gathered in one place.

"Duke Bramble and Lady Myria Hawthorn of Fairthorne!"

Geffrey leads her, stunned, to a new line. When Myria cranes her neck, she can see Leor through the throng of ladies in front of her. The sight of him makes her cold cheeks flush. He is just as stunning as he was last night at the tavern stables, his smile polite and blinding for the suitor in front of him. His suit is much more regal than the one he had at the tavern, and Myria can't see how she ever mistook him for anyone other than a prince.

After a few minutes, the line disappears, and it is Geffrey's turn to introduce Myria to the prince.

Leor recognizes Geffrey easily enough. "Geff! It's good to see you again. I wasn't sure if House Bramble would have a suitor for the Summer Courtship. So who is this lovely woman you've brought to court?"

The prince turns his warm gaze to her, and it chases away some of the anxiety in her stomach. She smiles brightly at him as he lifts her hand to his lips. "Don't you remember?" she teases. "I know I might have been just another passing commoner, but surely the minotaur was at least a bit more memorable."

Recognition passes through Leor's face, his plastered smile falling away like a mask. He grins again, and it seems much more genuine this time. "Myria? Is that really you?"

She curtsies in response. "The very same."

"Truly, I didn't expect to see you ever again, but this is certainly a pleasant surprise. Why have you come here?"

Myria falters as Emiri's words flash through her mind. She doesn't want to think about taking advantage of either Geffrey or Leor, and it makes her feel ashamed. She manages to maintain her smile, holding on to that feeling Leor gives her that sets her nerves at ease. "Isn't it obvious? I'm here for you."

Leor's eyes soften at the remark as he leans closer. "I wish I had more time to talk to you right now. Perhaps I will have a chance to dance with you tonight. Unfortunately, I have to divide my time among five other ladies, but I hope you don't regret coming to court. You look absolutely stunning tonight, Myria."

He kisses her hand again, much more intimately as he presses his lips to her palm just as the next lady approaches. Myria cradles the hand as Geffrey steers her away.

"Great first impression!" he gushes. "Leor seems happy to see you."

"Is that enough, though?" Myria asks, feeling her smile slip from her face as she looks at the group of other suitors.

"Yes, this is a great start! Don't worry, Mother and I will be here to help you for the rest of the summer. For now, you should use this time to get to know the other suitors. I know that this is a competition, but it doesn't hurt to make some allies. We'll introduce you to the king and queen a little later."

Myria scans the room and takes the opportunity to approach Lady Eulalia from earlier. She is alone in the far corner, cradling a chalice of golden liquid. Myria curtsies in greeting. "Hello there, Lady Eulalia. I'm sorry I didn't have much time to introduce myself earlier. I'm Myria."

Eulalia smiles, and despite the purple mask covering most of her features, Myria can tell just how beautiful she is. Her light brown hair falls just below her shoulders, and Myria can instantly tell her dark almond eyes are filled with kindness. "It's nice to meet you, and you can call me Eulalia. Your dress is beautiful as well. Is this your first time at court?"