Chapter Twelve - Passing Notes

Where is still hidden that beautiful flower of innocence? - Alexandra Vasiliu

Gerard walked me to my locker on Monday, and then ran to go grab something. He said he'd be right back and we could walk to class. So I leaned against my locker waiting.

A familiar blonde walked up to me, "How's it going?"

"Uh, it's alright, I haven't gotten anything big yet," I shrugged, trying to cut this short. I didn't need Gerard seeing me talking to her anymore.

Hayley nodded understandingly, "That's alright, we have until Prom Night. That's when everything will be released..." Her smile faded and she looked me in the eyes seriously. "And just in case you get cold feet, it's either their information getting leaked... or yours."

I tried to not seem fazed by this, I was obviously scared of her threat. She never made empty threats. She sticks by everything she says. "Alright," I reply blandly, and she walks off.

I'm glad she left, and a few moments later Gerard comes back down the hall. "Sorry, I left my English book in Ray's bag and I had to hunt him down. What's wrong? You look upset?"

I shrug, "Nothing's wrong, I'm just tired." Gerard wraps his arm around me and I lean into his touch. I think maybe I'd miss this, but we have until Prom Night.

We walk to English and sit beside each other like always. The teacher was reading aloud to the whole class most of the hour, so it was easy to pass notes.

We just wrote stupid stuff that made us laugh in the moment but had absolutely no meaning at all. I keep all of the notes just for fun.

At lunch, I sat with Gerard and his friends again. Frank was more welcoming to me after the whole situation on Saturday. I was glad. I'd need the others to trust me to in order for this to work out. But another part of me just wanted to be their friend. That part of me needed to be pushed deep down inside because I don't think she could handle what would eventually happen.

"Are you sure you're alright?" Gerard asked me, and he grabbed a hold of my hand under the table. This was the first time we really held hands and it made my heart feel fuzzy.

I nod, and smile over at him. He really is beautiful, why hadn't I noticed before?

He smiled back, "Later, I wanna ask you something, alright?" I nod again, and we join back in the boy's conversation.

Bob was talking about how Ray and him got drunk at his house yesterday and they were fucking around and he almost broke his wrist jumping down the stairs. Typical teenage chaos.

I laughed with them, and was actually enjoying myself. The Paramore group walked by, and Hayley glared, at me, too. And it made me realize that maybe I was enjoying myself too much, I was getting to emotionally involved.

I convinced myself that it would be more believable if allowed myself to get more emotionally involved. I know what I have to do and that's all that matters.

Then I look at Gerard smile again, and I forget everything I was thinking about.