Cast and Characters

Harry Styles as Austin Moon, an outgoing, confident and talented singer. After becoming an overnight internet sensation by performing a song he overheard Ariana singing, Ariana tracks him down to confront him for theft, but they eventually become friends instead and decide to form a musical partnership. His partnership with Ariana is initially built on the idea that "he rocks, she writes". Ariana is a brilliant songwriter, but is too timid to perform her own music, while Harry loves to perform, but is unable to write songs for himself.

Ariana Grande as Ally Dawson, a smart girl and a singer-songwriter with severe stage fright and a quiet, shy personality. Ariana's father runs a music store and that's where Ariana learned to love music and write songs. She originally wrote for herself, but after Harry accidentally stole one of her songs and became an overnight sensation as a result, she and her best friend, Liz, track him down, and she eventually becomes his musical partner and songwriter. Her partnership with Harry is initially built on the idea that "she writes, he rocks". Ariana is a brilliant songwriter, but is too timid to perform her own music, while Harry loves to perform, but is unable to write songs for himself.

Liz Gillies as Trish, Ariana's best friend and Harry's manager. She is sarcastic, snarky, lazy, vindictive, has little patience, and has a bit of a temper, but cares very much for her friends. Her jobs change frequently due to her lack of effort and presence at work. She takes her job as Harry's manager, however, fairly seriously and she also became Ariana's manager when her career takes off. She has a complicated love-hate relationship with Luke.

Luke Hemmings as Dez, an aspiring director with an odd personality and an unusual fashion style. He films all of Harry's music videos and is Harry's best friend. He's considerably dense and lacks much logical understanding which tends to lead him and the group into messy situations. He has a complicated love-hate relationship with Liz.

Louis Tomlinson as Nelson, an awkward young boy who takes music lessons from Ariana. He constantly uses the phrase, "Aww, nartz!", and tends to mix up words that sound alike, such as "oboe" and "hobo".

Edward Butera as Lester Dawson, Ariana's cheapsake father who owns the music store Sonic Boom. He is completely ignorant of Ariana's musical talents and believes that Ariana has a billion-to-one at making it in the music business, just like Harry's parents have told him. He and Joan, Ariana's mother, are divorced.