Chapter 4: Wang Meng

"What happened?" Miao Xuedong was puzzled and didn't know how to answer. He was a young local man who obviously didn't understand what we were doing here. "Nothing happened?"

"Then why was the gate locked if there's nothing valuable here?" Fatty asked.

"Hey, boss, your concern is a little too strange. Could there be beasts here?" Miao Xuedong walked straight into the grass and went all the way to the middle of the square.

I looked at the words "Guard Against Mountain Fires" posted everywhere, and lit a cigarette without any remorse.

I glanced at Fatty, but his expression hadn't relaxed at all. Miao Xuedong gave us a questioning look as we all stood motionless at the gate.

I squatted down: "Fatty, if there's really not a problem here, our reputation as a group of psychopaths will definitely spread in the village."

"Mr. Naïve, I've been shooting pistols for half my life. My eyesight might decline, but my eyes will still catch anything that's off. This place isn't right." Fatty looked back. He was familiar with my buddies and called out, "Kan Jian!"

Kan Jian was also a soldier. There were quite a few retired guys in my team, all of whom had been scattered in the industry. They had heard about Pan Zi and had a favorable impression of me, so they gathered here. This was what happened with people like Pan Zi. Even if they were gone, their shadow and history would still become a kind of power.

"Fat Master, you called?" Kan Jian leaned down.

"The tree in the northeast corner. Three inches on the side. Don't miss." Fatty said.

Xiao Hua and I both watched. After so many years, if Fatty was being serious, then we had to pay attention to him. Just after Fatty finished speaking, Kan Jian pulled a slingshot from his waist, drew it back to his shoulder, and released it with a twang.

This kind of clay slingshot was very powerful, and I immediately heard an "oof". A man came out from behind the tree Fatty had mentioned, clutched his neck, and fell to the ground.

After the man fell, we immediately noticed more movement coming from behind the grass and shrubs behind the big trees around the square. There seemed to be a lot of them hiding.

"Shoot freely." Fatty looked at the dumbfounded Xuedong standing in the middle of the farm, while Kan Jian used his slingshot to blast the people out from behind the grass one by one. Every time the slingshot's rubber band twanged, we could hear screaming as those who were hiding got hit in different places and jumped up and down in pain.

A total of seventeen people were scattered throughout the area. After running out, several of them made to rush at us. Just as we drew our defense batons, however, they seemed to change their minds and ran back into the woods by the square. They ran so quickly that there wasn't even a shadow left, and Miao Xuedong was left alone in the middle of the farm, completely unsure of what had just happened.

When we reached Miao Xuedong, we asked, "Who are those people?"

He looked at their retreating backs and stammered: "I don't know. Not locals." I heard someone in the woods shout, "Wu Xie, just you fucking wait!"

I immediately remembered who this man was.

"I can't have enemies." Over the past few years, I had been carrying out this sentence, because I needed to be able to get the best help when this situation came. I would have to break through all the obstacles, and dispatch everyone in the business. It was easy for people to think that I had discovered something great, thus arousing vigilance within the industry and giving rise to obstacles.

I didn't have the energy to deal with these people anymore, so I had always been determined not to make enemies. I even frequently brought all my people with me whenever I was doing something, which gave them the impression that I liked these grand scenes. It was all in order to not attract attention.

But no matter what I did, there was one person who always regarded me as an enemy.

And I couldn't do anything to him.

His name was Wang Meng, and when I entered this business, he was the only guy in my shop. After I came back, I found that he had opened a shop called Wangzi Guiju in the same location where my shop used to be. He obviously didn't expect me to come back.

Just as the widowed man finally forgot the past and was ready to start a new life, his other half suddenly appeared. It was obvious Wang Meng was very uncomfortable with my return.

While Wu Xie was away, Wang Meng was taken care of by his "dead" boss's friends everywhere. But Wu Xie came back, so Wang Meng was no longer Boss Wang, and it seemed like he'd have to go back behind the counter to be my subordinate and play Minesweeper again. But after experiencing so much, this boy began to fight for the first time.

He knew so much about me and what we were doing at this time, but the rabble didn't seem to be coming at me in anger, so I didn't know what they wanted.

I shook my head and decided to ignore it. I then told everyone to pick the guys up, and asked Miao Xuedong: "How should we go about this?"

"It's full of rotten wood that's dug up one layer at a time. This forest farm has been buried under it for so many years. My dad said that he couldn't remember where the wood came from, but he remembered that when he found the arrow, the wood was in the northeast corner of the farm."

When we arrived at the northeast corner, we began to dig up the land. Xiao Hua looked in the direction where Wang Meng had run away, suddenly became a little dazed, and then said, "Look at this mountain, what's it look like?"