Chapters 18: Beating Wang Meng

While I was still talking, a monkey pounced on Fatty's face. He knocked his head against the wall until the monkey was rendered unconscious, and then threw it directly into the hole. When he looked back and saw more monkeys crawling in from the gaps everywhere, he raised his gun and started shooting.

The rest of my men were climbing up from the darkness one after another, and were also taken aback upon seeing us.

"Why are there so many monkeys?!" Fatty was furious: "What are you doing? A Hua, has your Monkey King appearance been seen through?"

"Fuck off! Gun!" Xiao Hua exploded. Fatty turned and threw his "domestic" AK-47 to Xiao Hua.

Fatty needed to hold onto the well wall with one hand, but Xiao Hua could hold the gun with both hands since his legs were placed on both sides of the wall. He fired several shots and directly annihilated the monkeys near the entrance. In this space, the gunfire almost deafened us, and the hot bullets grazed my cheek, causing it to swell up.

Under Xiao Hua's covering fire, Fatty climbed to the gap, and the people below threw up some guns and bullets.

As soon as I started firing the heavy domestic AK, my anger burst forth and the hatred bolstered my courage. I figured that was why they said you shouldn't let the oppressed take up arms.

I raised my hand to the slate above my head, and shot it until it was smashed to pieces. As it fell down together with the monkey, Fatty ducked his head. I continued firing at the wellhead as I climbed, and eventually managed to roll out of the well.

I turned over and immediately got up, catching sight of the human-faced birds that had landed in the surrounding trees and on the edge of the well. There were at least a few hundred of them, and at that time, all the "faces" turned to us.

"Everyone fire!" I shouted at top of my voice as I started shooting. I hit the ones that started flying, but one must have gotten behind me, because I felt a sudden pain on my back. I took the butt of my gun and thrust it behind me. Xiao Hua also rolled out of the well and landed right next to me. At this time, all the human-faced birds flew up at once and covered the moonlight.

"Ammo!" I yelled, as Xiao Hua and two other people started shooting at the same time. Feathers were falling all over the sky and several ammo clips were thrown out of the wellhead. I dumped my empty one and quickly replaced it. I felt a presence above my head swoop down, and I shouted, "Stop fucking dawdling in the well!"

I started shooting at the sky, when suddenly, there was a gust of wind beside me and Xiao Hua was lifted into the air. I raised the gun, but didn't dare shoot in the dark. Kan Jian was the third one to roll out of the well, and used his slingshot to knock both Xiao Hua and the bird down. I rushed up, stepped on the human-face bird, and shot it. Xiao Hua kicked me down. I felt a chill behind me, and realized that a talon had almost slashed my back. Xiao Hua shot it from where he was lying on the ground, and the blood splashed all over me. He turned over and yelled at Kan Jian: "Don't shoot until you can fucking see it! It hurts!"

"I'm sorry! Master Hua!" Kan Jian pointed his slingshot at Xiao Hua, and an iron ball slipped through Xiao Hua's hair and hit the bird coming up behind him. At the same time, Fatty came out of the well with two grenades in his hands and threw them into the air. "Take cover!"

"Shit!" I was furious. The three of us jumped up, found the other wellheads nearby, and leaped in.

The exploding grenades made the sky shine as if it were daylight. Then, I felt the ground at my feet loosen and I fell into the channel again.

I almost fell into the monkey pile, but I managed to break away by beating them with the butt of my gun and firing in a sweeping arc. All the ones in front of me were swept away, so I took the opportunity to start climbing up the well wall. I felt a severe pain, and knew that a monkey had bitten my spine.

I copied Fatty and rammed my back against the wall until I managed to scrape it off. Kan Jian came down the well at this time, and I saw that he was completely covered in blood. He came up and slashed the monkey with a branch, while I fired a few shots and retreated to the wellhead. I asked him: "What happened to you?"

"Fuck me! Fat Master's grenade fell directly into my well. If I hadn't jumped out quickly, I would've become shrimp paste. Boss, can we not come out with Fat Master anymore? He's way more terrifying than these things."

I was so pissed I was about to explode. I shot the monkey that was rushing towards me and climbed out of the well again. I saw Fatty get lifted into the air by a human-faced bird, but he was too heavy for the bird to fly. I raised my hand and beat the bird's head in until it was a pool of blood, and then yelled at Fatty: "Can you not use explosives?!"

I looked back, and saw that there were fewer birds in the air, and almost all of them had fallen to the ground.

Fatty got up and took a shot at the bird that had just tried to take off with him, and then made a move like he was a conductor taking a curtain call. "Look at this Fat Master's efficiency at clearing the field. A one-two kick will send the big birds flying, and a two-two kick..."

Kan Jian climbed up: "Will send our own people flying."

"Xiao Hua!" I yelled, praying he hadn't been blown up by Fatty.

The man-faced bird that had been beaten to the ground started to get up.

After shooting several times in a row, I found that I couldn't lift the muzzle of my gun at all. I realized my hand was injured, and the reason I hadn't even felt the pain was because I had been so excited just now. I could still use a knife, but I couldn't use a rifle with such a strong recoil. My whole hand was completely numb after only shooting a few times, so I immediately pulled Kan Jian over and put the gun on his shoulder.

Kan Jian's aiming technique was excellent, and he knew what I wanted to do. He grasped the barrel and helped me aim by pointing it to the right target. After I finished firing, the hair on the back of his head had been completely burned by the shell casings.

The people in the well were coming out one by one, and our firepower became stronger and stronger. Xiao Hua also rolled out from where he must have fallen just now. Everyone was red-eyed as they went on a killing spree, and they didn't stop until they couldn't see any more targets.

The harsh sound of gunfire was still ringing in my ears, and the air was filled with the smell of sulfur. There were no more creatures in the air, and the ground was full of pools of blood.

"Cease fire." I shouted with all my strength.

Countless centipedes gathered and began gnawing on the human-faced bird carcasses, as a torrent of green fluorescence flowed on the ground.

"Run away." Fatty stamped his feet. I threw the gun to Kan Jian, and he helped me walk out of the forest.

All the centipedes were attracted by the flesh and blood, so we had to keep beating them away as we quickly passed. Once we left the forest and made it to the bushes on the hillside, Fatty sprayed some kind of insect repellent everywhere and set fire to the bushes. After the fire went out, I lay down in the ashes, and wearily watched the approaching dawn.

The plant ash was warm, so I wrapped myself in a tarp and soon fell asleep. When I woke up, the pain in my arm was unbearable. I turned over and noticed that the sun was already overhead, and Kan Jian was huddled next to me, sleeping like a log.

I got up, kicked him awake, and saw Fatty and Xiao Hua making tea and rice. Wang Meng and the others were also off to the side, fast asleep.

I grabbed Fatty's feet, took off his shoes, went up to Wang Meng, and smacked the shoes against the back of his head.