Chapter 26: Key

Did Grandpa Chen turn into a grenade spirit?

My first reaction was to think that when Buddha was teaching the sutras, there was a grenade buried in front of the altar. After listening to sutras day and night, the grenade turned into a spirit. Now that it was in its original form after death, I only needed to pull this ring to immediately become fried beef tartare.

I didn't think it was possible. If a grenade was implanted in your nasal cavity during your lifetime and the lead wire accidentally got caught and pulled while you were picking your nose, it would truly be a terrible death.

I pulled the copper wire and Grandpa Chen convulsed. Now that I thought about it, I had dug up Grandpa's grave and sifted his ashes, cut off Granny Huo's head, and smashed Chen Pi Ah Si's face in. The nine families were really unfortunate to have offspring like me.

The copper wire suddenly loosened and I pulled out something that was deep in the nasal cavity. It felt really awesome.

The thing was covered in slimy mucus, so I wrapped it in my underwear and carefully looked at it with the oxygen light. I had seen it before. It was a copper key that was inset with a pearl. At this time, I saw Grandpa Four's corpse start to shrink, and it kept twitching as the flesh began to emit an odor.

I covered my nose and stepped back, but grabbed the thing hanging around its neck at the last minute and pulled it off.

Grandpa Chen's body rotted and collapsed, and I was relieved to see it shrinking down into the pile of stones.

I looked at the two things in my hand.

I had seen this key in the Seven Star Lu Palace. It was in the mouth of that female corpse that was beside the green-eyed fox, and was said to prevent decay. When I took it out at that time, I thought it was to open the puzzle-box, but the key ended up disappearing later. I didn't expect that it would end up in Chen Pi Ah Si's hands, or that he would embed it in his nasal cavity.

Little Brother worked for Chen Pi Ah Si at that time, and Uncle Three needed to borrow one of Chen Pi Ah Si's men. He ended up exchanging the black and gold blade for Poker-Face's help. Did Little Brother take this key in the chaos and give it to Chen Pi Ah Si?

After that, the ninety-year-old Chen Pi Ah Si did his best and ventured to find the Heavenly Palace deep in the mountains with Poker-Face's help.

I slowly began to see the parts that I hadn't paid attention to before. I used to think about Uncle Three's motives and what Poker-Face was doing, but now it seemed that it was better to understand Chen Pi Ah Si's relatively simple purpose first.

Chen Pi Ah Si participated in the largest joint tomb robbing operation in history. With his character, he must have personally taken risks during that time. After that, he spent a long time in Guangxi and eventually found Little Brother who had lost his memory.

Chen Pi Ah Si must have purposefully been searching for Poker-Face, because for those in the Nine Gates after liberation, Guangxi was a place where too many stories had happened and too many secrets were hidden.

Little Brother, who had lost his memory, had been working for Chen Pi Ah Si since then. Chen Pi Ah Si was a very smart person. He probably didn't want to know the truth, and only wanted to solve his physical problems. Maybe he got the original Warring States silk book and distributed it to those in the business until finally, Uncle Three solved its secret.

Based on my later understanding of him, when Uncle Three saw the silk book, he must have used it to set up a big trap. But Chen Pi Ah Si didn't know this, so when he heard that Uncle Three was going to look for the ancient tomb on the silk book, he lent Zhang Qiling to him.