Chapter 16: Hello

Kan Jian was from a family skilled in using slingshots. They practiced slingshots from an early age and had amazing arm strength. The rubber bands they used on their slingshots had three colors: yellow had average power and was used to shoot birds; red could break a person's skull open and couldn't be pulled by normal people at all; and black—which I hadn't seen him use so far—was only used for something special.

I was holding my knife while Xiao Hua was in front holding his defense baton. I started wondering when I had become a hand-to-hand combatant. Things had certainly changed.

"Boss, help me with the lights." Kan Jian said quietly as he occupied a shooting hole.

I went to another shooting hole, covered the flashlight with my palm, aimed it at the hole, and then suddenly moved my palm away.

The channel was immediately illuminated, and I could see that the first monkey was almost four meters away from our bunker. All of Wang Meng's men lifted their guns up to shoot, but a big "wu" sound like an airplane taking off was suddenly heard and the monkey's head burst into a bloody mist. It was completely broken.

Everyone looked at Kan Jian, whose moves were as smooth as water as he slid another steel ball from his waistcoat, caught the rebounding rubber band, and then fired again. He repeated the action over and over again, and a loud roar could be heard each time. The projectile slid through the shooting hole, shook the nearby jar as it passed, and then hit the monkey with a sound like a whistle. The monkey screamed in the distance.

But it was no use, for we could see at least a few hundred monkeys rushing towards us on the ceiling and walls.

I can't describe the scene. Everyone immediately opened fire. The first batch of monkeys were shot and rolled into the monkey pile, but didn't hinder the others' stampede at all. A dozen monkeys had rushed to a distance four meters from us in an instant, and the second round of shooting blew them all away. Before we could even see their bodies fall to the ground, more monkeys poured in.

All the guns kept firing, the monkeys hit the outer wall of the bunker, and the jars outside began to break and fall.

Almost all the bullets had been used up in thirty seconds, and there was no need to aim as flesh and blood went flying. Kan Jian grabbed three projectiles at once and fired them at the same time, pulling the slingshot to the limit. I looked at the crumbling barrier and yelled at Xiao Hua: "It's not going to hold!"

Xiao Hua looked at the Huarong Road above, slammed it with his baton, jumped up directly, stuck his legs on both sides of the well, and reached down, "Come up first. Fight as you retreat!"

Wang Meng and the others climbed into the shaft one after another. A monkey climbed in from one of the shooting holes and rushed towards Kan Jian, but I threw my knife in time and managed to cut it. Kan Jian pulled out a few pig bladders, put them on the slingshot, and fired them towards the ground. The bubbles burst, and the liquid splashed, emitting a nasty odor.

I pulled out another Kukri, retrieved the one I had just thrown, and defended myself with the two knives as I shouted, "What the hell is that?!"

"Bear urine!" A monkey crawled in from another shooting hole and threw itself directly on Kan Jian's face, but he was able to use his slingshot to pull it down. At the same time, all the monkeys began to squeeze themselves through the shooting holes, just like squeezing cream out of a tube. Five monkeys jumped on his back, and when I went up and cut two of them, I became the new target. I got up, turned around, and kicked Kan Jian into the well, where six or seven hands instantly stretched down to lift him up. I quickly followed, and as soon as I had climbed up, Kan Jian fired an iron pellet at a jar inside the bunker. The whole bunker loosened and began to collapse toward the gap below us, and the bottom of the wellhead was soon completely blocked.

We could still hear the crazy crash from our position, but the sound wasn't as loud, and all of us breathed a sigh of relief.

The slate and wine jars above hadn't been cleared out, which meant we had barriers above and below us.

I looked at Wang Meng, and he looked at me, the both of us too tired. I turned to look at Xiao Hua, but the whole well suddenly shook, as if some monster was hitting the blockage below our feet.