Chapter 17: Big White Face

Even if there were more of those monkeys, they would never make such a noise. Everyone shrank back, hesitantly glanced below their feet for a few seconds, and then felt a violent tremor. All the dust above our heads was shaken loose.

My way of thinking was different from others, so I was deeply puzzled. I knew the dimensions of the channel outside, but this kind of violent vibration had to come from a large object crashing into the pile of jars and debris below at a certain speed.

The degree and height of the outside channel couldn't accommodate anything too big, so I couldn't figure out what it was.

Xiao Hua and I looked at each other, and I saw that his eyes were full of doubts.

There was another huge shock, which filled the air with a lot of dust and bugs. They kept getting into my eyes, so I had to keep shaking my head. The stone slate above our heads began to crack, and we heard the sound of jars being moved above us.

"It's a bird." Wang Meng said in horror.

I shined my flashlight into the gap in the slate, and suddenly saw a huge, clear eye squeezed into the gap. The golden pupil shrank when the light hit it. Then, there was the sound of claws scratching the surface and more gray dust scattered down. Xiao Hua took his defense baton and thrust it up amid the chaos. The stick was quickly caught, and Xiao Hua had to pull it back.

There was another huge tremor, and the crack opened wider. All the debris that had been on the slate overhead began to fall through the cracks. Kan Jian raised his hand, shot a broken tile at the bird, and managed to hit it. We then heard the clear cry of the monkeys come from below.

It appeared the impact caused our barrier to collapse, and more gaps had been created. I couldn't deal with the problem above our heads right now, but just as I was about to tell the others to start filling in the gaps, Wang Meng broke down with a roar, picked up the porcelain tiles, and threw them at the ground. It appeared to actually be scaring away the things outside.

After roaring for a few minutes, there was another tremor. Wang Meng's men saw that it was useful, and they all started yelling as well.

At this time, a huge roar sounded from beneath the tiles, causing the ground to shake and everyone to fall down.

It was a loud roar that was really close at hand, and almost sounded like we were standing on a loudspeaker.

I knew that it was bad. The impact just now wasn't in the channel, but in the area below the well.

Something was definitely hitting the bottom of the well.

Then, the underground tiles arched up like a giant mouth and started to collapse. Something had punched through the bottom of the well, and a black hole appeared. Cold air instantly gushed out from below, and the porcelain tiles clattered as they fell in. Wang Meng and his men also unexpectedly fell.

The monkeys outside jumped in and started crawling towards us.

Kan Jian aimed his slingshot at the monkeys coming in through the gaps below, and knocked them into the hole. Xiao Hua stabbed the monkeys climbing up with his baton and shouted to me, "See what's down there!"

I shined my flashlight into the dark hole, only to see Wang Meng and his men clinging to the cave wall. But instead of looking at us, they were looking at whatever was below their feet. I moved my flashlight down, and saw a big, fat white face sticking out.

When I shined my flashlight at him, he narrowed his eyes and scolded: "Fuck, fancy meeting you here. Don't turn on the high beam, ok? The industrial workers need time to adjust."

"Fatty, you piece of shit, why are you coming out of the ground?" I asked angrily. I really wanted to slap him so hard that it sent him straight to heaven.