Chapter 2

"That will be twenty four dollars and ninety nine cents." said the gothic looking girl at the register.

It had been two years since the death of Arianna's father, and two years since Arianna had befriended Adam and his group. She had changed quite a bit over the years. Growing a few inches, dying her hair, and completely changed her style received mixed responses. Some, like her mother, thought the change was a bad thing. Others, including both herself and her friends, thought of the change as an improvement. Today she was dressed in a black Pierce the Veil long sleeve shirt, black ripped up skinny jeans, black converse, and a black beanie to complete the outfit. Arianna's hair was black at the top, and it slowly faded into white. It was straightened like it was every day and it hung loosely around her narrow face. Her eyes, usually a hazel color but changed frequently, were lined with dark eyeliner and dark eyeshadow. Her lips were coated in a dark lipstick that seemed to make her silver lip ring more noticeable.

"Oh dear, it seems I only have twenty three dollars." the crippled old lady flushed in embarrassment as she searched her purse for a dollar.

Arianna observed the old woman's grungy appearance, and desperate need for a new coat.

"Oh don't worry about it." Arianna said smiling. "It's on the house."

It was blatantly obvious that the old woman was not rich, and Arianna had seen her on the streets with her filthy golden retriever by her side. The woman had somehow managed to collect twenty three dollars to buy a simple bracelet.

The woman's eyes filled up with tears at Ariana's kindness.

"Oh dear thank you. Thank you so much. God bless you."

Arianna smiled at the woman. Even though she herself did not believe in God, the woman's gratefulness warmed her heart.

"May I ask what the occasion is?" Arianna asked.

"It's my granddaughters birthday today, and I always get her something." She said as Arianna bagged the bracelet, and handed it to her. "We are going to a diner down the street to have lunch together."

"Oh, are you talking about Checker Red?"

"Yes, that's the one."

Arianna nodded. "My friend June works there, and I was just about to head that way. My shift just ended a few minutes ago. I can walk with you if you'd like?"

The woman's smile grew wider. "Certainly dear. That would be just wonderful."

"Okay. Just give me a few minutes to lock up." Arianna said, returning the smile.

She locked the register, turned off the lights in the small shop, and grabbed her coat and keys before leaving. The old woman was waiting for her outside in the cold dreary rain. Most would not consider this weather favorable, but Arianna did.

"Are you ready dear?" The old woman asked as Arianna emerged from the building.

"Yeah." She said pulling on her jacket. "It's this way." Arianna began walking in the direction of the diner.

The woman walked along side her in a comfortable silence. A smile seemed to be permanently plastered upon the woman's face. Arianna usually wasn't one to become happy by another person'

s joy, but this case was different.

"So where's your dog?" Arianna asked, breaking the silence.

The woman's smiled faltered. "Rosie died last week. She was an old dog. I saw it coming."

"I'm sorry."

The woman nodded.

A few minutes later they arrived at the diner. Much to Arianna's surprise, June wasn't the only friend of Arianna's at the diner. Adam, Matt, Dan, and Maxie were there as well.