The Christmas Bride

This was not supposed to be happening.

Not like this.

The only sound that filled the cold room was the swishing of dresses and the pattering of servants feet.

The holiest time of the year, her favorite, was now forever stained with this act of cruelty. For that was what all arranged marriages were in her opinion. On a day she should be celebrating, she was mourning the loss of her freedom. Of love that could have blossomed into something magnificent.

The servants tried to get her to eat something, but she couldn't bring herself to without feeling sick. So, she ignored them in favour of returning to her thoughts.

Her thoughts were heavy with regret. Instead of running away with Lucien like she had always dreamed of, she would now be wed to someone she could hardly stand.

All of their scheming and late night gatherings would be all for nothing. The King of France had made up his mind and would not be swayed. She tried not to be bitter in her heart. Robert had always been the one to look out for her.

But as the chambermaid brought forth the gold and cornflower-blue dress, her heart couldn't help but be in the state that it was.

All the pretty pearls on her dress and veil could not compare in numbers to her tears.

Those months of getting Lucien to admit to his love of her; wasted away as her spirit.

Last night he had come into her chambers for the last time. If the devil smiled upon her, she would be with his child. Small consolation as it was. She could live with not having him if she could have at least one last bit of him forever.

Selfish creature she was.

Her eyes never strayed from the window. Not even as they closed it to prevent more snow from tumbling in.

Isabeau sighed. Not even all the beauty of the rolling hills of her beloved country could save her now.

She felt the maids tug her around like a child's rag doll, trying to fit the dress over her body.

Lucien had been careful last night to leave any marks that could spark gossip. For surely this time not even the King would be able to save her. Not from the Church. Not for adultery. She was as good as married and they both knew that.

All too soon they placed the pearled veil over her face and the dainty slippers on her feet. The white furs of her cloak would have to keep her warm today.  The dress certainly wouldn't.

A knock on the door distracted her from her brooding.

"It's your father-in-law, come to take you away, your Highness."

Isabeau bit back a snotty reply as the door opened to reveal the old goon.

She took his arm wordlessly and followed him into the chapel where her new husband lay in wait.

Lucien watched with a heavy heart as his Isabeau walked down the chapel isle towards Tristan. From behind the pillars he could see her plaster on that fake smile that fooled so many others. But he knew that deep down she was as unhappy as anyone could be.

He should have ran away with her sooner.

Across the chapel, sat a very annoyed vampire. While he could still have Isabeau whenever he pleased, it aggravated him to know that she was now married to the man he took on as his apprentice and considered a friend.

He watched intently as Tristan kissed his bride, and it was right there and then, he had to swallow his pride.

Perhaps he would leave the now married woman alone. But perhaps, he would not. As his craving for her only ever seemed to multiply. Especially between her supple hips.

No, he had to stop this.

If they ever got caught now, it would mean her death.

But then again, he could continue to use compulsion as usual.

As the newly married couple left the chapel, the guests left after them to bask in their cheer of this momentous occasion. Also, which one of these lords could say no to drink on Christmas Eve?

Elijah watched as they were seated at the dias. Tristan was practically glowing with happiness. But his bride only looked happy. He knew it was a lie.

He was also keenly aware of how Niklaus's servant friend inappropriately stared at the woman he loved. It only filled him with mirth. For no one could possibly love Isabeau as he did.

No matter.

The plan was set in motion, that if ever they needed to leave, Isabeau would leave with him. She and her child would be safe with a family of vampires to guard and protect them.

That plan included leaving both Tristan and Lucien in the dust.

Tristan led Isabeau to the dance floor, floating on a cloud.

"My bride." He smiled down at her with eyes full of love. "My lovely Isabeau."

"My lord Husband." She smiled in such a way that pleased Tristan immensely.

He led her in a slow and intimate dance, allowing his eyes to inappropriately travel across her form.

"You are the most beautiful woman in all of France." He whispered in her ear. "I can't wait to make you mine."

The man caught her nervous look.

"But I won't force you if you're not ready."

"I want you." Those soft spoken words sent his heart into a ravenous flurry.

"Then you shall have me." He grinned down at her. "Like you've always had my heart. Completely."