Chapter 8

"Okay I can die in peace now," announced Lindsay oblivious of the brothers snickering in the corner, amused by their reaction. Earthee looked at her, "Yeah, me too." "I just realized that this might be the highest high in my life," proclaimed Daniella. "What am I supposed to do with the rest of my life?" she looked at Sammy who was completely dumbstruck, devoid of any reaction, while Elinor kept jumping in her seat as she made sounds of excitement. The food was not even in their peripheral right now until the old man cam to their table and said, "I charge double, if sit long time." That was a signal that set them on a race of who finishes their food first. It was delicious, a bit on the cold side but still good. They paid their bill and took some pictures inside the tiny restaurant.

By the time they got out of the establishment, it was already getting dark. Days were shorter now so the sky getting dark so soon made all the sense. They were sad that didn't get to take a tour of the caves because they came here late and there was only enough time for one activity. It felt too much of a waste to come here and not see them, but for safety reasons, cave tours were halted during dark hours.

Instead they decided to take a look at all the seaside shops, window shop for a while and then head back home. Most of these shops were owned by the natives of the island and a lot of them did not know any foreign languages so they had some trouble communicating. They found a little trinket shop that sold customized necklaces. Tiny moonstones were attached to a little wooden plate and they would carve your name onto it, if you desired. They decided it would be a good memento for their time on this unbelievable island.

Each girl selected their stone and the artist attached them to a round tiny wooden plate with a seashell hanging from it. Before attaching the stone, he carved their names on the back of the wooden plate. It took longer than they thought it would, the bus was not a problem, but they had to get their stuff from the beach. Since Earthee and Eileen were the first ones to get their necklaces done, the offered to go and get the stuff back. The shops were closing, may be this was the only one that was still open. The kind artist was going out of his way to keep his shop open for them.

They were so high on the fact that they just saw Dimash that they lost track of time, after every few seconds someone would giggle and remind them of how he nodded, at this point their brains were making up information that probably wasn't there.

It was long walk back to that place, so it was supposed to take some time but when they did not return even after all of their necklaces were done, Shelly was a bit apprehensive. Seeing her concern Lindsay quickly dialed Earthee's number, there was no response, the phone wasn't even ringing. Daniella prompted her to call Eileen instead and the phone kept ringing and one picked it up.

Daniella looked at Shelly and they knew they cant wait around. With yesterday's events still raw in their mind they knew they had to go and check for themselves. This time they did not scare themselves weird thoughts. They did not even have to say it to each other, they made a run for it at the same time. Daniella was the fastest, in the forest she got overtaken by Elinore because she could maneuver her small frame much better through the overgrown tree branches and bushes, but here she had no obstructions. The rest of the girls followed suit.

Daniella could not see them anywhere when she reached the spot. Their stuff was not there so that meant they were already there. But even if they were walking very slowly, they should have been back with the stuff now. The girls joined her and saw the empty spot. They did not know what to make of it. What it okay to panic again now? Should the call someone? Where could they be.

Shelly told Lindsay to call Eileen again, she dialed the number and they heard a faint buzz coming from somewhere around them. The phone was nearby. Each and everyone of them shone their phone's torchlight but they could not see it anywhere. They tried to narrow down the spot by constantly calling the phone. "I don't want to alarm anyone but I think the phone is beneath the sand," Shelly said in a small voice. The wind was picking up and the sky was not so clear anymore. "I don't like this," said Lindsay as she looked up at the sky. "I really want them to be okay." "We need to look for the phone first," said Elinor. None of them had the courage to ask why as the scrambled on the ground and started digging around. Lindsay kept calling the phone as she sifted through the sand with her hands.

Shelly was digging with both her hands until she felt a slight vibration. "Hey guys!" I think it's here. I can feel something. All the girls jumped to that spot and started removing the sand with their hands, they did not have to go much further before Daniella yelled, "Found it!" the girls looked at the phone with grim faces. They did not know what to do next. Shelly felt like she might throw up.

"This is not right, the phone is here, I know what you guys are thinking but I am sure none of them are down there," cried Daniella. "I think we need to sure," replied Elinor as she looked to the floor. Sammy had tears in her eyes but she knew both of them were right.

"Okay, I think we need to split up, but before that we need to call the authorities," Lindsay suggested. "It does not look so innocent this time. We all know Earthee has been acting weird since that day." No one had anything to say about that. All of them felt the same way and they silently agreed with Lindsay. She held up her phone and tapped on the Dimash app it had all the emergency numbers you that you might need.

That was weird the app did not open, she tapped on it again, no response. "Why wont this app work, it was perfect just a second ago." The rest of the girls quickly checked their phones, they all had the same response. Panic was slowly taking over them, what were the supposed to do. Shelly felt weak in the knees, but she was the first one to speak up. "Okay, no we split."

Elinor and Sammy decided to stay there and keep digging while the rest of them would scour the area. Hopefully they would be able to stay in contact. The grabbed stones and sticks, to help them with their task as Daniella, Shelly and Lindsay walked towards the other side of the stone.