James

He stayed in National City a few extra days so he could have more time with Kelly and smiles to himself thinking back on Alex and Kelly's baby news and it reminds him of everything they have been through as a family. Thinking back on the changes he made in his life, wanting to do more in the world to affect change, everything he has been through in Metropolis and National City, getting shot and being able to work on his relationship with his sister. He never thought about it when he first left National City, only focusing on helping the people in Calvintown and making a difference. Now, his sister is pregnant and just thinking about it makes him a little emotional.

He hardly writes editorials, he focuses on developing the paper, making a difference, spending time with Simon but every few months he would write just so people are reminded to never give up. He hardly speaks about his family, Simon only met his sister once and even then they were more focused on him than why were in Calvintown. He sends copies of his paper to Kelly, so she knows what he is busy with and how Calvintown is changing.

She's sitting in the kitchen drinking her tea. After the last few weeks of patrolling, their jobs and preparing for the baby they haven't had time with the family. They decided to have dinner tonight and everyone was coming over. She's reading the latest paper from James and tears start falling, she doesn't hear Alex coming in from the other room "Kelly, what's wrong?"

"Have you seen this?" she asks

"No, I was going to read it today" she slides the paper over to Alex and gets up to wash her face. Alex begins to read...

"As I reflect on the year that has past and look forward to what lies ahead, I am reminded of what is important. When I first arrived in Calvintown with my sister, I was reminded of what this town used to be. My sister and I would spend our Summer vacations here then it became our home and all those fond memories returned. I was reminded the boy I was, innocent, carefree but already I knew I wanted to make a difference in the world. I have not written about myself, my family I left behind or even when I knew this is where I needed to be; I always felt it more important to remind you to fight for change, to stand up for what is right, to make a difference not only for our town now but for the generations to come.

I quit my job without knowing the way forward and no plan, while my sister always knew what she wanted from a young age; following in my father's footsteps and joining the army then becoming a psychologist and helping veterans suffering with PTSD, all I knew was that I wanted to help people. I moved around a lot hoping that I would find my place in the world where I could really make a difference. If I hadn't been injured, I wouldn't have been able to rebuild a relationship with my sister, if I hadn't been injured, my sister wouldn't have met the love of her life (it really is disgusting listening to her gush about one of my best friends), if my sister wasn't in danger, we would not have returned to Calvintown for solace, we would not have returned home. If my sister wasn't in danger, I would not have known that this is where I need to be. We had just arrived in Calvintown and met a teenager fighting to survive and over a simple meal he shared his story and I was reminded that before I became James Olsen, I started out as a guy with a camera among the people.

Calvintown gave me a home, a chance to make a difference and with everything you have endured and survived, we have become stronger as a community. This newspaper is not mine or even the amazing people that work here but this newspaper belongs to all of us because we are stronger together. We will continue to forge ahead, we will continue to fight, we will continue to stand up for ourselves, for our families and for our children. I'd like to think that I'm part of a community that my niece or nephew (my sister will not tell me) will be proud of, I know that one day they will stand up for what is right, defend people that cannot and continue to break barriers for the future of this world.
So for my little jellybean, I love you more than you'd ever know, always strive to do the right thing, always work to affect change and always remember that we are stronger together. To my family, know that I love you. Thank you for your support and for always being there when I needed it. I would choose you every time. Alex, thank you for loving my sister, for bringing her smile back, for protecting her, putting her first and even though I enjoy teasing her about how she becomes a love sick puppy about you, I could not have dreamed of a better woman to love my sister. Kelly, for everything we have endured and everything we have lost, you have become so much more than I could ever have hoped and I will always be eternally thankful for everything you have done. Without you, it would have taken me a lot longer to realize that Calvintown is where I need to be.