Chapter 8

*A Few Weeks Later*

Evie's POV

"Why do I have to go with you? Why can't I just stay in the car?" I ask. "Because love, they may be more trusting if there's someone else, more specifically a woman." Klaus says. I roll my eyes and get out of the car, "Fine, but don't even think about killing that dog." Klaus rolls his eyes before leading the way to the house.

"Rudy! Rudy! Come on! It's too hot to make me come look for you." A woman says as she bends down to pick a toy up from the ground. When she turned around Klaus and I were there, his arm around my waist. "Sorry, we didn't mean to scare you." I say. "Can I help you?" She asks. "Yeah, our um, our car ran out of gas a few miles back. We feel like we've been walking for ages, yours is the first house we came to so I was wondering if we could use your phone?" Klaus explained. "Don't you have a cell phone?" She questioned. "Uh, yeah. His battery is dead and I left mine at home. Look, I promise we're not serial killers, we would just like to use your phone." I answered. "Sure." She sighs. "So we can come in?" Klaus asked. "No, I'll get the phone and bring it out to you." She said. "I thought you country folks were supposed to be more trusting." Klaus said annoyed. "I'm from Florida." She told. "Well, that explains it." I say as Klaus grabs her by the throat and compels her. "Now show me a little southern hospitality. Sweet pea." He said. "I'm going to go find the dog, and then wait in the car." I tell Klaus. He nods and takes the girl inside. 

After looking around the property I found the dog, Rudy, behind a shed a few feet behind the house. "Hey buddy, let's get you out of here." I say as I pick up the golden pup. Once I get in the car the screaming starts and Klaus walks up. "I'm keeping him." I tell Klaus as he starts the car. "No love, he needs to go to a place they can take care of him, the road isn't a good place for a dog." He explains. "I don't care, he is staying with me. I mean come on, look at that face. How can you say no to that face?" I hold him up so he can see his face. Klaus looks at him for a minute and Rudy lets out a whimper, "Alright, fine, but you're taking care of him." He says. I squeal and hug him before kissing his cheek, "Thank you!" I look to Rudy and start rubbing his belly, not noticing Klaus' gaze. Stefan soon walks up and gets in the front, covered in blood. "So where are we going now?" I ask as we pull away. "First a motel, then in the morning we go to a bar called Southern Comfort." Klaus replies. "Isn't that an egg nog brand?" I question. "I don't know love, look it up." He says. I shrug and go bag to petting Rudy.

We pull into a motel about 30 minutes later. Klaus goes into the office to get a room or two as Stefan is still covered in blood and I am taking Rudy to the grassy area to go to the bathroom. "Are you seriously keeping that dog?" Stefan asks. "Yes I am. I have always wanted a dog, and now I have one." I tell him as Rudy finishes doing his thing. Stefan just shrugs and grabs his bags from the trunk. Klaus comes out carrying two room keys, "There was only rooms with one bed, so I got adjoining rooms." He hands Stefan a key before grabbing his and my bags. "So I assume I'm sharing with you?" I ask as I follow Klaus to the room. "You would be correct. I will have someone get some food and such for the dog in a few minutes." He tells me as he opens the door and turns on the lights. "Oh here's the list of things for Rudy, as well as some things I need too, if that's alright." I say as I set Rudy down and pull out a paper from my pocket before handing it to him. "That's quite alright, love." He replies. I smile as I take some clothes from my bag and grab my pajamas from my bag that Klaus sat on the bed. He steps out of the room to make a call so I change in the room instead of the bathroom. I move my bag off the bed after I stuff my dirty clothes into the laundry bag I have, which takes up over half the suitcase. 

Klaus comes back in the room with a bag of food from Panda Express and a carrier with 2 drinks. "You know, either we need to stop at a laundromat here in the next couple days, or I need to go shopping for more clothes, I'm running out of clean clothes." I tell him as I flip through the channels. "We will deal with that later this week, right now we are finding a wolf pack, hopefully we have their location by tomorrow." Klaus explains as he hands me my food and drink, "I have someone coming with the items on your list, they should be here shortly." I nod and begin to eat my food.