Chapter 12: Through his Eyes

Trigger warning: This chapter is a flashback of what Warren saw. So there will be visuals of people being murdered.

Cornered Rat

Chapter 12

Through his Eyes

"Warren!" A woman's tender voice called from the kitchen. The young boy walked in and sat down at the table as she put down a bowl and a sandwich. Within the bowl was tomato soup, the sandwich appeared to be hot ham and cheese. Warren took the triangle sandwich and dipped it into the soup and took a bite out of it. Flavor didn't register, and that seemed to disappoint Beck a little.

Warren looked around when he heard his father with someone. He could see the black hair of his father and his uncle talking in the next room. His uncle waved at him and chuckled.

"Got some tomato on your cheek Warren." Warren ran his wrist over his face. And his uncle gave him a thumbs up motion. He did love his uncle. He turned back around and finished his food just as he heard something from the living room. He felt someone pat his head.

"Gotta go Warren, now you take care of your dad and mom for me alright." Warren smiled as the guy kissed the top of his head.

"You sure you won't reconsider? It'll put money in your pockets." the guy tried once more to talk his dad into starting a business with him. His father patted his brothers back.

"Nah, I've retired. I think I'm just going to sit back with Tosha and buy a house. Raise Warren where there's a good school, lots of friends, and maybe a playground nearby."

"Bye Uncle Reese!" His uncle turned around finger gunning at the kid before leaving. Warren's voice was as small as Beck thought it would be. The fact that he hadn't heard it personally made his pump hurt. There was a loud yell outside the door and was kicked in.

Tosha jumped up and gasped when she saw a man grab her husband and drag him into the bathroom which was right next to the front door. Tosha as quick as she could picked up the couch cushion and pulled her son over and pushed him flat as could be next to the couch bed.

Within he was able to squeeze down into the back area between the bed and the back of the couch. The poor boy had no choice but to stay quiet as he listened to the loud voices and cries of his parents being killed. He stayed there even after it got quiet. He stayed there for hours till he heard someone outside the door and there scream. He heard the scream and someone running.

He crawled out of the back of the couch to see the war zone of his house. His father was draped over the bathtub, and his mother lay just in front of their bedroom as far as she could be from the couch. She led them away from him. He ran out of the apartment as fast as he could, down the steps and across the road.

"Are you lost sweetheart?" A familiar face that he knew now as Mindroid asked him. He jumped and ran clear across the road and into the donut shop. The woman watched the boy go into the bathroom. It wasn't unusual for the boy to run in and use the bathroom while he was out playing so the woman didn't think anything of it. Warren closed the back stall and curled up in the corner. After about 30 minutes the woman opened the bathroom door and walked inside.

"Warren? You okay? There are fire trucks and police cars at the apartments. Did something happen?" She asked. Warren opened the door and nodded his head. The woman sighed, pulling the boy to her. "Come on...you can stay in our extra room alright?" The woman led the boy to the back of the donut shop and up the stairs into the apartment above. He sat down on the small couch and looked around. Nothing unusual save for the weird looking cat with a smooshed in face.