Chapter 6: Cyrus Borg

Cornered Rat

Chapter 6

Cyrus Borg

Borg lazily tapped at his keyboard looking up at the monitor and sighed. He hated paperwork, but he had to do it or the board of representatives would start making demands again. He hated speaking to them, and even hated having to explain to him that sometimes this paperwork takes longer to do if there are more than one subject. He took off his glasses and placed them on the table. Sighing heavily he sat back and rubbed his eyes.

The elevator dinged and in walked a woman with dark colored skin, red eyes, and a lab coat.

"They're making you work overtime Doc?" The woman was a genius. Having studied under the best droid medics. By the time she was 15 she graduated college and began an internship with him at Borg Industries. Now five years later she managers the repair ward.

"I'm afraid so Dr. Danika. What can I do for you?" He pulled back on his glasses and plucked the tablet she was holding out. "Ah inventory lists. Good. Order whatever you need. Those filters you designed worked wonders on the new nindroids. They're not running as hot as the old models.

She blushed lightly before smiling.

"All in a day's work Doc. Now you need some help with those?" She asked, pointing at the paperwork.

"Its this new model that we found. We don't have his blueprints in the database and we have no idea where he came from. I'm afraid the board is going to try and have him dismantled."

Danika giggled and shook her head.

"As if you'd ever let them do that. Not with your chance to study him." Danika pulled out a small thumb drive and held it up.

"Ah there driving...drives." He chuckled at his own joke. "At least now he'll be able to drive a patrol car. He and his partner have been walking around town. The commissioner said he actually performed a search and rescue of a small boy that had been missing for three months." Borg said as he wheeled over to the coffee machine. "Coffee?"

Danika watched him as he wheeled over to the machine.

"Oh no thank you, I'm about to get off. If you didn't need my help I'd be scooting and finish this tomorrow."

"Oh no no, its just me wondering about this new droid. You go on ahead and go home Danika. I'll see you in the morning." Danika waved at him as the machine started to pour the beverage into a cup. She loved the smell, it reminded her of college.

Walking out of the tower she walked toward her bike. She didn't live too far off from work. The only time she really used her car was during grocery runs.

Danika cried out feeling someone put their hand around her and cover her mouth. She looked up at the red eyes of Cryptor and just rolled her eyes and let them drag her toward their car.

"Could have put a bag over my head instead." Danika said as Cryptor let her go. She had been repairing them when they were broken for a few years now. She as a repair officer couldn't say no to a droid who was broken. She didn't get the option to choose sides. Her promise to mend and repair all droids stood firm. Yet she had bonded with the two somehow. They seemed to be...friends.

"Yes but I feared for your sanity." Cryptor joked. He watched as Danika pulled Mindroids head up a little and she looked over his neck for a moment.

"Not scratching anymore is it?" She asked. She had been the one to give him a proper voice box.

"Nope, feels good. It still needs a bit of oil every so often though." She nodded rooting around in her pockets and held out some 2 cycle oil for him. He smiled, she couldn't see a physical smile, but the corners around his eyes wrinkled.

"Whats going on though? Looks like you two are fit. Don't need fixing." Danika walked around them both to make sure.

"Oh not us, but we do need your help to find a...friend of ours." Cryptor smiled.