Rise and Shine

"Rise and shine boys! Oh, whoops, I'll look away."

Greyson jumped up out of bed anxiously. "Oh dad, hi... um... we were just sleeping I swear." Greyson's dad laughed. 

"Relax, I seen you at 4 AM and figured I'd wake you up before your mother had the chance to look into your room and have a mini heart attack." 

Drew pulled the covers up over his chest. "Hey shy guy, unless you're naked I don't see a reason to hide." Drew awkwardly smiles and pulls the covers off of himself.

"Are you mad at me?" Drew's dad sat down on the bed. "No kiddo, I was messing around. So, you're Drew?" Drew curled his knees to his chest.

"Uh, yeah, I hope that's a good thing." Greyson's dad laughed and patted him on the back.

"Of course! They told me you were a really good, mature kid over the phone." Drew raised an eyebrow. "Over the phone?"

"Oh, I mean the psychiatrist. I talked to the psychiatrist when I called to check in on my son and they said he was doing a lot better and that he was spending most of his time with one of the other boys, so I got a little nosy." Greyson blushed. 

"So uh, breakfast?" Greyson stared blankly at his dad. "Good question, yes. Go to the dining room and I'll make some pancakes. Drew, do you eat pancakes?"

"Yes I do, just don't add any syrup. Though, if you have peanut butter, I'll take a spoon of peanut butter on the side." Greyson smiled and started walking.

They all sat down at the table and Greyson scooted his chair closer to Drew's. "Hey kids, can I ask you a question? I'm just curious."

"Um, sure dad." The boys looked at each other nervously.

"I hope this doesn't upset you... but you know I've been keeping an eye on you guys and I've noticed you... being in very close proximity to each other. What's up with that?" 

Drew's eyes widened and he immediately knocked twice on the table. "I'm sorry, did that make you anxious?"

Drew blushed. "I... um... yes. I don't know what to say. I'm scared." Greyson grabbed Drew's hand under the table and squeezed. 

"He'll be fine dad, he's just overwhelmed. We haven't discussed too far into what we have going on at this point and I think both of us are very overwhelmed with how quickly everything is happening." Drew brought his knees to his chest and buried his nose in his thighs. 

Greyson's dad flipped a pancake onto a plate and handed it to Drew. "You guys will be okay believe me. These feelings are complicated at any age. When I was your age, and I know how much you love hearing that, do you think I had my shit figured out? Hell no I didn't, I thought I was in love with a cheerleader because she looked at me. Heaven forbid a girl innocently looked at me as a teen. Feelings are confusing. And I know there are added elements for both of you that make this five times more difficult to process, but it will happen if you relax and just try to enjoy the present moments as they come. Drew, you seem like a very pleasant guy. If my boy disrespects you, make sure you tell me."

Drew giggles and knocks twice on the table. "Hey dad, I suppose in one aspect, you can say we have Similar tastes. Drew is a cheerleader."

"Football player and a cheerleader... that was always my dream up until I met your mother. Speaking of the devil." Greyson's mother walked up to the table. 

"The devil? Was I sleepwalking again?"

Greyson cackled. "No momma, we were just talking about how you weren't at all dads type." Greyson's father kicked him in the calf.