Fourteen

"I'm looking for somewhere to hide. Don't make a sound, okay?" Talia whispers to Joseph.

"Okay."

Joseph was heavy either that or she was just weak. She had to crouch down and hide behind a stack of boxes.

"Hey, tell me about this dome thing."

"It's like a force field, it protects those on the inside. It requires special access in order to enter or exit. When they were taking us in that man whose name I think is Mike did a face scan before we got in." He whispers.

Great. How was she going to get him to do a face scan.

"I have an idea on how we can get him to do the scan. We need to kill him and TJ."

TJ?

"Okay but how?" She says and looks around. She looks up at the ceiling and there is is a large metallic plank hanging from a rope.

"You can control objects right? Look at that metallic plank." She points at it. "Use your powers to cut the rope."

"But they're not even standing under it. If it falls all of a sudden they'll be more careful next time." He says.

"What's their power?"

"They can control the weather. They're twins so they need to be together in order for their powers to work but as long as they're inside we have nothing to worry about."

"How did you know?"

"They once struck a girl dead after she refused to have intercourse with TJ." He says plainly.

"How old are you?"

"Nine."

"Stay here. I'll try to lead them under it. When they're directly under it, cut the rope." She says and he nods his head.

There is a small metal pipe beside another stack of boxes and she crawls over there as fast as she can.

"Did you hear that?" Mike asks.

"What? Are you afraid of a tiny bitch?" Terry Jones teases.

"Shut up." Mike says and Talia ceases the opportunity to throw the pipe.

They both jump as it rolls towards the man who Joseph called TJ. Both of them stand back to back with their guns pointed out.

"She's definitely here." Mike says. "Come out and we'll show you a little mercy."

"Speak for yourself, I'll make you suffer." TJ says and Mike elbows his ribs.

She runs to go meet Joseph but they spot her.

"There!" TJ yells and they go after her. She picks up Joseph and runs outside. Joseph had already started cutting the rope using his powers to hold it until Talia gave him the signal but when she suddenly picked him up it fell and landed on TJ's leg.

"Fuck!" He groans but he doesn't let it deter him.

"Get up man. We can't risk losing her again and going to Devon empty handed." Mike races towards them and TJ grudgingly gets up.

She runs outside and into the dome. Its force pushes her back as she falls and hits the ground hard. Not wasting anytime she picks Joseph up and carries a stick from the ground: a sad excuse for self defense.

"We're not safe. We're outside and the plank didn't kill TJ; they can use their powers against is now." Joseph says.

"I thought you said nothing could get in." Talia says.