Chapter Twenty One

"Y'know what I'm sick of guarding this classroom door for you,"

"Shut up and guard,"

"I am!"

I stood on the chair carefully. Trying to be still, since the chair would spin. I kept my balance holding on to a dusty shelf with one hand before I dropped the planner out my other on to the empty shelf. "There," I slowly let go crouching down getting off the chair back to the ground.

Esme looked over at me from the door. "So when do I get the explanation?"

Oh yeah Esme, remember that teacher? He's helping me steal Tyler's test.

"Explanation for what?"

She gave me a blank face leaning on the door frame. "Why you put Mr Armstrong's planner on that shelf?"

"That wasn't Mr Armstrong's pl-"

"-I saw it written on the front Mal. Y'know... what are you hiding from me? Theres something about you and that teacher I know it,"

"What-? What do you mean?"

"I dont know completely. But... there's something. I mean- how did you even get his planner? He stopped teaching here days and days ago why would you end up with it?"

"Well.... I... he left it,"

"So why are you putting it up there?"

I stayed quiet nervously. I didnt have a lie for that one, but I didn't know if it was right to say the truth. I'd have so much explaining to do, and Esme's reaction could've be anything unexpected... maybe sometimes, like people had told me, the best lie to tell was just silence.

She eyed me a little longer, before realising she wasn't getting anything out of me as she stood back up straight. "Fine. I see. The secret games how you wanna play. You didn't tell me about the kiss with Tyler, now the Armstrong  thing-"

"-I haven't kissed Mr Armstrong!" I cut her off defensively.

Her face slowly looked at me shocked. "I wasn't going to say you did... I was going to say the Armstrong thing is a secret, something about it you won't tell me. Not that you might've kissed him..."

I breathed out. But then she added.

"But now I'm not so sure... you seemed pretty defensive there,"

"Esme I-!" The bell cut me off.

"Fuck- I'm not suppose to be in this class," Esme said looking around the room. "This isn't over!"

-

Me: The books placed on the shelf, I put it on before class

Billie Joe: No one saw it?

Me: No one, the shelfs never used

Billie Joe: I'll pick it up tomorrow. Make sure you get him to bring that test in

"Mallory, give me your phone,"

I looked up from under the desk at Miss Fares, Or aka the dying music teacher I wish would just fossil over already. "I wasn't on my phone," I lied quickly.

She rolled her eyes sitting at her desk. Her hand opened up over the desk. "I want the phone, no arguments Miss Valentine,"

I grunted finishing off my message.

Me: Phones being taken off me, call you later

"Mallory, off you-"

"-Yeah yeah, I'm off now," I said turning it off as I carried on walking over.