Chapter Fourty

I scowled down at my phone. Sending another text to Esme trying to explain myself. How I didn't keep her updated on what happened with my mom, how my moms kicked me out and I never said a word to Esme telling her, how I rang Billie instead, how I didn't show up to grad to join her. And if you can imagine, it wasn't going well.

After sending a whole paragraph explaining how overwhelming everything has been and I'd forgot, I sighed dropping the phone.

Billie was downstairs- doing... whatever. I didn't care.

After his phone call yesterday, I acted normal towards him of course. We were normal for the rest of the night. But this morning? For some reason it all hit me harder. I guess you could say I still kinda felt sour about what I heard on his phone call this morning remembering. I'd been out of his way all day.

Sat on his bed crossed legged, I looked up at the bedroom door as it creaked open. Billies head peeking in.

"What's going on?" He gave a wonky smile.

I forgot to wipe away my scowl, looking up at him with knitted eyebrows. He scrunched his up back.

"What?"

"Nothing Billie,"

The bedroom door shut as he walked over, the mattress sinking slightly as he sat beside me. "You've been up here an awful lot today huh?" He asked, poking my rib cage.

I swatted his hand away automatically. No comment.

"Awww c'mon, what's with the mood?"

"I told you! Nothing,"

"C'mon! What's up with you?" He laughed, attempting to poke me again.

Once again, I swatted his hand away. Or- tried to. Until he'd poked under my ribs with his other hand. I couldn't help but smile slightly trying to grab his hand and push it away.

Until he continued, both hands poking me annoying me more and more. But I was really becoming less annoyed. Laughing at this point. "Billie stop!"

"Tell me what's up with you!"

"Fine!" I giggled. Until he stopped.

"Well... what is it Mal?"

"I'm just- I didn't sleep a lot last night,"

He smiled childishly. "Well I mean- both of us didn't do much sleeping last night,"

Resisting the urge to laugh at Billies teasing, I continued to try and lie. "Well, after that I couldn't sleep well. So I guess I'm just tired,"

"Tired?"

"Uhuh,"

He squinted for a long moment looking over at me. "Bullshit,"

"What?"

"C'mon, don't lie. What's really bothering you huh?"

I breathed out, putting on what I hoped was a convincing smile. Leaning over as I kissed him quickly on his cheek, before repeating myself again. "Nothing Billie Joe, I really am just tired,"