FOUR | the switch

3411 words

3411 words

"Little Arcane," Harvey drawled. After I'd been cornered in the bathroom, Harvey had forced me to sit across from him and Troy at one of the tables to talk. "You know, I couldn't believe it when your daddy went to prison."

"He's not my father," I corrected harshly. I was ignored.

"And all because of your testimony," Harvey continued. "I'm surprised you still leave your hideyhole. That cop who's protecting you must be one hell of a guy. How is Tim Bradford, by the way?"

I straightened in my seat, unable to help it.

"Ah, sore spot. My bad, my bad. But you have to understand how it is. Business has been slow since Carmine's arrest. It doesn't help that the gang's golden girl is with the pigs now. So, how do I fix that?"

He drummed his fingers on the table, taunting me. There was no escape. Not that ended without a body bag and my corpse.

"Troy, how do I fix that?"

My eyes fixed onto Troy who had avoided looking at me for the length of Harvey's presence.

"Same way you handle nosy cops and leaks," Troy answered, void of emotion. Like the little soldier the three of us knew him to be.

"But I would never harm Carmine's daughter. Nah, that's too high risk. No, what I'd do was start with the one's she knows. Those rookies for instance. Ain't no reason not to pay them a visit."

"Stop," I muttered, my anger getting the better of me.

"Or the druggie that married that cop protector of hers."

"Leave her out of this," I spoke, just a bit louder than before. The edges of my vision blurred slightly.

"Definitely the sergeant she follows."

"Stop it."

"No question about the captain and Bradford."

"Stop. Just stop it!"

"And we'll let her live, knowing it was all because of her."

"I'm going to kill you, you son of a bitch. And your enterprise. I will put you six feet under. I swear," I threatened. The words fell from my lips before I could stop them. I just got so angry and scared at the idea of people dying because of my actions.