FIVE | the roundup

2022 words

2022 words

"I had a nice time tonight."

Scott had walked me up to the front porch after our movie date that progressed into a walk in the park. Things had gone better than anticipated. He was such a gentleman the entire night, holding doors, he even paid for the snacks. I couldn't help the overwhelming feeling telling me not to let this one go.

"Me too," he returned.

I looked to the door, not quite wanting to say goodnight just yet. "This is me," I told him, trying to stall minus the silence.

"I guess it is," he said.

"Talk to you tomorrow," I inquired.

"Of course, Sofia," he agreed. That was another thing. He always called me Sofia, not Sof or Sofie or Fia, just Sofia. It was nice to hear my name roll off his tongue. Without really thinking it through, I stood on my toes and pressed a kiss to his cheek.

"Goodnight Scott," I bid farewell. There was a small, boyish smile on his lips as he returned the favor.

"Goodnight Sofia."

🚨📷🚨

"Alright, settle down. Settle down. Listen," Tim called from the front of the briefing room. He was standing at the podium in Grey's spot. "Everyone knows what today is, and I just want to say that Team Bradford is gonna dominate once again."

Sounds of protest came from the other officers in the room, but none louder than Lopez who shouted, "Yeah, not this year, Blondie."

I laughed lightly at the competitive spirit that overcame Tim. He loved that day like no other. In the midst of the officers' friendly banter and spotty conversations, I caught on to the rookies' discussion since I was stood near them.

"Dominate what," Nolan questioned his fellow rookies, confusion very evident.

"The Roundup," West answered before elaborating. "Happens every year when the rookies are a month into the job. The T.O.s sponsor a competition for the most felony arrests in one shift."

"Sounds fun." Nolan quickly backtracked at the looks he received from Chen and West. "What?"

"We were both there when pub trivia almost got violent," Chen reminded him. West made a sound of agreement.

"I like a little healthy competition," Nolan excused, having trouble finding fault in his past actions. Chen made a sound of acknowledgement through her disagreement with his words was quite clear.

"Are you kidding? You're cut throat and relentless. Which I respect," West contributed, tacking on the last part as though it were simply an afterthought. Their conversation was cut short when Grey entered the room.