TWO | crash course

1543 words

1543 words

          I stayed the night in Tim's hospital room. I must have been asleep when the nurses came in because when I woke up he was putting on his street clothes. I took the time to let my head catch up with the rest of me before getting up from the chair I'd been stationed in for the last several hours. I stretched slowly then tried to work out the crick in my neck.

          A nurse came into the room with a wheelchair and a grin split across my face.

          "Checkout time, Officer," the nurse said. Tim looked at the wheelchair and scoffed.

         "Yeah, no. I'm walking out of here," he refused.

          "Hospital policy."

          "I don't care."

          "Tim, get in the wheelchair and get over it," I told him. I usually kept quiet in situations like these, but I was too tired to listen to him argue with the nurse. The nurse nodded at me before giving Tim, who shot a glance my way, a look.

🚨📷🚨

          Tim begrudgingly got into the wheelchair, allowing the nurse to push it for him.

          "So, who's picking you up," the nurse questioned. She glanced my way; I guess she assumed I could drive.

          "Not me. Unless I want Officer Hardass to arrest me," I jested. She laughed a bit and Tim made a sound of protest.

          "A cab," he corrected. However, Bishop and Lopez, in street clothes, came down the hall toward us. I had called them and asked for a ride back to Tim's.

          "Is that all we are to you,"Lopez questioned, poking fun after having heard his comment.

          "Hey," Tim greeted. I waved.

          "You know, it's funny. He didn't tell us he was getting out. 'Cause he's a tough guy," Bishop tacked on.

          "Who doesn't need anybody's help. Sofie had to call us instead," Lopez finished.

          "Are you two finished," Tim inquired, unimpressed with their humor.

          "Nope. Smile," Lopez instructed. She pulled her phone from her pocket. Bishop, Lopez, and the nurse leant behind the wheelchair for a selfie with Tim while I stepped away.

          I hadn't taken any photos that weren't polaroids because I liked having a physical copy mostly. Not to mention, my father was a hardened criminal who had his trial fast-tracked just to get him behind bars sooner; pictures were synonymous with press from the trial to me.

          Tim's irritation was caught on camera alongside the three women's amusement.

🚨📷🚨