SEVEN | the ride along

5493 words

5493 words

"At 11:15 this morning, the LAPD engaged in a pursuit of Number One on the FBI's Most Wanted list," Zoe addressed. She was standing at a podium, delivering a statement to the press. Cameras flashed and clicked rapidly, everyone trying to get the perfect shot. "All departmental resources were brought to bear on this dangerous fugitive, including our most decorated officer, Kaydence Patton."

Kaydence, a little girl with a bright smile and an officer's uniform, led Nolan, the "fugitive" into the precinct in handcuffs and handed him over to Grey. Applause and cheers swelled, filling the room with smiles to match. I stood to the back of the crowd with Scott.

"On behalf of Make-A -Wish, the City of Los Angeles, and the LAPD, we hereby thank Honorary Police Officer Kaydence Patton," Zoe said while handing the young girl a certificate. Kaydence and her family, moved to accept the framed certificate, cameras flashing more so than before to try and capture the special moment. If at all possible, the cheers and applause multiplied at the conclusion of Zoe's address.

🚨📷🚨

The following week, I hopped out of bed with a smile on my face. I had beat my alarm as anticipation grew in my chest. I stepped over to the calendar hanging on my wall and crossed off today. Less than two weeks after that, a day was decorated to the nines with stars and written in a big font was the number 17. There was also the words 'year 3 starts' written below it. The marked day signified the three-year anniversary of the day I was saved from Carmine.

Not to mention my 17th birthday.

Scott and I were going to spend the day together because he was going to be out of town for the next month. I had to get study materials for final exams the day after hanging out with Scott.

Zoe was supposed to take my birthday off so that we could hang out together. Tim had taken off work on my birthday last year and the year before, but he couldn't get someone to take his shift this year. But I'd made him promise to be home in time for dinner. He'd agreed with an apology for not being able to spend the day hanging out like usual.

When I turned fifteen, Tim and I went to the local animal shelter and I got to hang out with the dogs all day. That was the day I decided that I wanted a dog. That had yet to happen, but I hadn't yet given up hope. For my sixteenth birthday, Tim and I had spent the day at the DMV so I could get my license. That was the day I decided that I didn't need a car. I usually walked places, so it wasn't a necessity. Not to mention Isabel had recently left, so I didn't want to be a burden.

I shook away those thoughts before throwing my clothes for the day in a bag. To wear for the moment, I slipped on a pair of leggings and a lightweight, long-sleeved shirt as well as my running shoes. Scott and I were finally going to go hike Malibu Creek, like Nell recommended to Tim during the Roundup.