EIGHT | time of death

*sparring match between Sofia and Jackson is based off the scene from Agents of Shield (AOS) where Mack and Bobbi are sparring in Season 2 [couldn't find a version in English]*

2799 words

Chen knocked Nolan on his face on the mat while they were sparring. The rookies had invited me to train with them, saying they wanted to get to know me. It was kind of strange, in a good way. Chen and West both had like ten years on me and Nolan was old enough to be my father, but I guess if I was going to be around them, I was going to have to be open to the idea.

"You're holding back," I commented. I had full faith that Chen could've taken Nolan down easily, but he didn't seem to be putting up much of a fight.

"She's right," Che- Lucy agreed. If I was going to be spending time with them outside of the occasional interaction while they were on shift, I was going to have to remember to use their first names.

"I wish I was," was Nola- John's only rebuttal. The pair went for another round, each grappling for control of the fight before Lucy once again sent John to the mat, pinning him down. West- Jackson then moved to get a better angle with his phone since he was filming his fellow rookies.

"I could watch this all day," he said, a wide smile on his face as he ended the video. "And now I can."

"Are you recording this," John asked, almost taken aback by the notion.

"Uh, yeah, just for, uh, teaching purposes," Jackson explained unconvincingly.

"Alright. Focus," Lucy instructed, clearly wanting to start another match.

The two threw a few hits, neither really landing a good one until John took her down onto her back, pinning her down with his bodyweight, leaning over her. The sexual tension was palpable.

"Ooh! There you go," Jackson cheered, encouraging John. "Nice takedown, Nolan."

"Thanks."

"Lucky move," Lucy said. The two stared one another down before getting off the mat.

"Your turn, West," I stated, slipping my jacket off, leaving myself in a tank top and leggings. We both stepped onto the mat, facing one another. Then, we were off.

I threw the first hit. He blocked it with his hand. I swung to hit his cheek, but he ducked down out of the way. I brought my arm back to elbow him in the nose, but he caught it. He pushed it back causing me to have to do a three-sixty to keep my balance.

He took a swing, but I pulled my upper body away. He threw a fist to my right. I jerked to the left to avoid it. I swung my forearm into his elbows which were raised. He threw out a kick, but I diverted it, using my momentum to create more distance between us. I sent my leg up, but he protected his jaw with his forearm.