𝐓𝐄𝐍

CHAPTER TEN | WHAT ARE YOU 

─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

AS SOON AS KLARA HAD GOTTEN OFF THE PHONE WITH DAMON, SHE JUMPED STRAIGHT IN HER CAR. She was headed to Bonnie's safe house, where she had moved Elena's body. Damon had told her that not only had Stefan ripped Enzo's heart out on Bonnie's front porch, but he was human. Which meant, his humanity and every single thing he had to feel guilty about would have come rushing back at one-hundred mph. 

"Come on, Stefan. Answer your damn phone!" Klara bashed her hand violently against her steering wheel as she listened to the same dial tone noise that she had heard for the last five times. "Come on, baby."

"I'm here." Stefan breathed out once he finally answered Klara's call. 

"There you are." The blonde vampire let a sigh of relief escape her lips. "I know what happened back at Bonnie's safe house. I talked to Damon, he told me everything."

"Bonnie. She must be— I don't even know what to say. I don't know how I can— every time I close my eyes, I see it play over and over again in my head." Stefan tried his best to explain, though Klara knew it was obviously a wreck. "And every time I open them, I see Enzo's blood on my hands."

"Look, I know that you're struggling, okay? But, please. Please, come home." 

"I can't do that."

The blonde vampire immediately shook her head. "There's no way that I'm letting you run away from this, okay? So, just let me know where you are and I'll come to you."

"No." The Salvatore snapped once more. "I can't face you. I can't face Caroline, and I can't face Bonnie." The sudden sound of a Police siren filled the speakerphone. "Damn it. I'm being pulled over."

"God. You have got to be kidding me." Klara breathed out, but all she heard was silence until she heard the sound of a car door opening. "Stefan? Stefan! Damn it." The blonde breathed and then clicked Damon's caller ID.

"Klara, he hasn't come back." The blonde vampire heard the sadness in Damon's voice. 

"No, I know. I managed to get hold of him, and he's on his way to Rockland County Police Department." Klara sighed heavily. "He's been arrested."

A small hum of optimism left Damon's lips. "Okay. That's good. Stefan's human now, Klara. His emotions are back. The memories of every drop of blood he's ever spilled are gonna be doing a square dance in his head. It's best he's not alone with all this right now. I'll meet you there, okay? Have you talked to Bonnie?"

At the mention of her friend, Klara's face fell. "I tried, she's not returning any of my calls. I just— I don't get it."

"Sure you do. Think about it. Can you blame her?" Damon asked, but all he was met with was Klara's silence. "I'll call you when I'm close, Goldie-Locks."