XI - My family

After my son was born, I stopped working so I could look after my children. When he was a few years old, I began volunteering at my daughter's primary school. I loved teaching and so did not want to be away from it for too long. I also completed various courses to further my knowledge and understanding of education.

In 2009, I gave birth to my youngest daughter. She was a beautiful little baby. My two other children loved her dearly. Like all siblings, they fought and played. With her being the youngest child, my husband and I felt that we knew what to do as parents. Yet our daughter still managed to surprise us. When she was a few months old, she cried during the night, as most babies do. However, she was crying more frequently than usual, so we assumed that she had a stomach problem. My husband and I took her to the hospital's accident and emergency unit. We waited awhile until the doctor called us in. The doctor felt our daughter's body and gently pressed her nose to check her breathing. Then she pressed a little harder and our daughter sneezed so forcefully and loudly that a big ball of mucus flew out. It had been bothering her for a few days and now she was relieved of it.

The following year, I began working at the same primary school as a teaching assistant. I loved it. I had more responsibility and felt more independent. I enjoyed working with the kids in smaller groups, sorting out resources and checking homework. I had not taught in a school for a very long time, so it was great to get back into what I loved to do.