Reflection

Writing this book

I shared my story with many of my friends and was encouraged to write a book about my life experiences. I did not have any strong passion to write it. However, when Covid-19 hit and we were quarantined in our homes, I found the time to sit down and collect my thoughts. It was difficult at the beginning because I had to mentally re-live my life. It was hard to remember certain details and decide which parts to include. My first draft was very simple, listing everything that had happened to me. My children helped a lot with the editing so that my thoughts and feelings were expressed accurately in writing. It was with their support that I was able to finish this book.

Key messages

In my life I learnt many things. From my parents' situation, I have learnt that it is important to think about your actions before you take them. You should understand the impact they will have on you and those around you that you care about. There are consequences for our actions and if we do not understand or plan for them, then some people may get hurt. I believe that it is necessary to think about the feelings of others. Growing up in a big family made me feel left out at times. I would often blame my past for that. In many Pakistani households, people do not feel comfortable talking about deeper issues. This can have an effect on young children. Despite this, I also learnt that I should learn from the mistakes of others. I have a different mindset to that of my parents in raising my children. Life is about patience. Things may not seem great or the way you want them to be in that moment, but you should always work hard and with sincerity.

My life now

I am very happy with my husband and three children. I feel more independent and confident in who I am. Before, I would do things to please others. Now I do things for myself. I am building and bettering myself and the family that I have made. I am happy with what I have and I hope my children can learn from my mistakes and successes. I have learnt to have a strong mindset from a young age and I am sure that my children will be able to learn from my life experiences. God has been with me throughout my life and I know that he will bless me even more in the future. 

My favourite Bible verses (Good News Translation)

I have chosen ten Bible verses that have motivated me throughout my life.

· Psalm 23

The Lord is my shepherd;
I have everything I need.

He lets me rest in fields of green grass
and leads me to quiet pools of fresh water.

He gives me new strength.
He guides me in the right paths,
as he has promised.

Even if I go through the deepest darkness,
I will not be afraid, Lord,
for you are with me.
Your shepherd's rod and staff protect me.

You prepare a banquet for me,
where all my enemies can see me;
you welcome me as an honoured guest
and fill my cup to the brim.

I know that your goodness and love will be with me all my life;
and your house will be my home as long as I live.

· Proverbs 15:17

Better to eat vegetables with people you love than to eat the finest meat where there is hate.

· Proverbs 16:3

Ask the Lord to bless your plans, and you will be successful in carrying them out.

· Proverbs 20:3

Any fool can start arguments; the honourable thing is to stay out of them.

· Proverbs 22:3

Sensible people will see trouble coming and avoid it, but an unthinking person will walk right into it and regret it later.

· Ecclesiastes 8:1

Only the wise know what things really mean. Wisdom makes them smile and makes their frowns disappear.

· Matthew 26:41

Keep watch and pray that you will not fall into temptation. The spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak.

· Romans 8:31

In view of all this, what can we say? If God is for us, who can be against us?

· 1 Corinthians 9:24

Surely you know that many runners take part in a race, but only one of them wins the prize. Run, then, in such a way as to win the prize.

· Revelations 2:10

Don't be afraid of anything you are about to suffer. Listen! The Devil will put you to the test by having some of you thrown into prison, and your troubles will last ten days. Be faithful to me, even if it means death, and I will give you life as your prize of victory.