Chapter 27: Friendly/Not-So-Friendly Mother-Son Chat

Oliver Queen's POV 

'Hey, Mom,' I said, walking in from the upstairs rooms. Evelyn had just gone to bed, and I'd left after reading her a chapter from her favorite book, The Maze Runner. Leaving my sister to her dreams, albeit torturous ones. My mother was staring out the window and she turned, exhaling softly. 

'Walter's upstairs resting,' she said. 'I think he's doing well... don't you?' she added, walking towards me, keeping her gaze down. 

'Who took him?' I asked, not wanting to skirt around the truth. 

'Well, we don't know yet. But I'm going to make sure all the resources of Queen Consolidated are behind it,' she said, trying to reassure me, but I was not convinced. 

'That's the answer you gave to reporters yesterday. Tell me the truth.' She scoffed. 

'I don't know what you mean.' 

'I think you do. A couple months ago, when I showed you Dad's notebook, you seemed to know something. Something about our family being in danger.' 

'Are you suggesting that I knew something about my husband's kidnapping?' my mother snapped, but I paid no mind. 

'I'm just suggesting that maybe you were scared. That maybe you didn't mean for any of this to happen. But it was harder than you thought. And now you're barely keeping your head above water. Please, Mom. Let me help you before you drown.' 

'You need to stop asking these things,' she said softly, more softly than ever, getting exasperated. 'Do you understand? I need you to stop.' 

'I can't. I need to know,' I spoke up. Just then the lights dimmed. 

'Is that a power outage?' my mother asked. 

'I don't know.' Just then something was fired, and I collapsed. 

'Oliver! Oliver!' she shouted, but I was out cold. Then she was shot too, and she fell to the floor. 

I woke up a few moments later, in something of a warehouse, with a light dangling between me and my mom. 

'Mom!' 

'Oliver,' she slurred, still waking up from the tranquiliser. 

'Are you okay?'

'Oliver? What - what? - we have to get out of here?' my mother said quickly, panicking, pulling on the ropes that bound her to the chair. Just then a built man in a green hood stepped into view. 

'Moira Queen. You have failed this city.' 

Time skip 

'Please!' Moira begged. 'Do not hurt my son.' 

'Tell me what the Undertaking is and I won't have to,' the Hood said. I looked up at him and gave him an almost imperceptible nod. He nodded back and slapped me across the face violently. 

'No!' she cried out. 

'Tell me!' he said, slapping me again. 

'Please! Leave my son alone!' she begged. 

'What is Malcolm Merlyn planning?' the Hood growled. 

'I can't tell you!' she yelled through tears. 'He'll kill me, he'll kill my family.' 

'You should be more worried about what I'll do.' The Hood punched me with such force that I fell over, still tied to the chair. 

'NO!!' she cried out. 'Malcolm is planning to level the Glades. He said so he could rebuild it, but...'