Chapter 7: Stop Asking Me To Be Someone Else

Evelyn's POV

It was a lovely day at the new ground breaking of the Robert Queen Memorial Applied Sciences Center. My hair was freshly done up in a bun, with ringlets falling down from it. I wore a backless green dress with silver grey, sparkling heels. I stood next to Thea, and Mom, waiting for the ceremony to begin. I couldn't see Oliver anywhere. Great. He's late again, I thought. I know it was a late night last night, but come on! Why does he have to do that? Just then our stepfather, Walter Steele, stood up on the podium. After altering the microphone, he spoke. 

'Good afternoon,' his crisp British accent rang out. 'And thank you all for coming. Welcome to the future site of the Robert Queen Memorial Applied Sciences Center.' Everyone applauded, including Thea, Mom and I. Walter started speaking again. 'Now, this is a building that will stand as a monument to the man whose company and vision are his greatest legacies.'

'Whoa, whoa!' I heard Oliver's familiar yell. He stumbled over, grabbing a glass of champagne and downing it in one stroke. 'What about me? Right? I'm a legacy.' He sounded like a child that was being left out, just 27 and drunk. Very. 'Hey! Thanks for warming them up, Walt.' He grunted and got on stage, stumbling a little. 'All right! Ow! Fine, fine shovel. I got it.' Oliver took the shovel from Walter and almost dropped it.

'Whoa! Ow!' he yelled. I closed my eyes in dismay. I so wanted to go to him, but he'd just shove me off, and that would create a scene. Anything would be better than him making a fool of himself, I thought. 'I'm kidding. I'm kidding. I got it. I got it.' He leaned into the microphone. 'Some of you may not know me. My name is Oliver Queen. Watch some television, read a newspaper, I'm kind of famous right now. So is my sister, Evelyn. Right there, girl with the pretty green dress.' My mouth nearly dropped open at his statement, but I stayed rigid where I was. 'Mostly, though, I'm famous because I'm Robert Queen's son. Uh, but as Walter, who's my new dad... huh, who is? sorry. As Walter was saying, I'm not much of a legacy, per se.' 

'Oliver, you don't have to do this,' Walter said, coming up to him. 

'No, sit! Sit! Gosh. See, I was supposed to come here today, and I'm supposed to take my rightful place at the company. Prodigal son returns home and becomes the heir apparent. But I'm not my father. I'm not the man he was. I'm not half the man he was. I never will be. So, please, stop asking me to be.' He stuck the shovel into the dirt and walked off stage. Mom lowered her head, and I shook my head slowly. Thea just looked shocked. 

                                                               -At the Arrow's warehouse-

I stood next to Oliver, watching as he crossed out Martin Somers' name on the list. 

                                                                           Third Person POV

Moira walked up to the black limo and got into it. 

'Well, you saw for yourself. My son knows nothing. Robert didn't tell him anything that could hurt us. And he has no idea that the yacht was sabotaged.' The person in front of her held out a book with a circular design - 

The same on the inside of Oliver's book with the list of names in it.