Chapter I

A FAINT MEMORY

‘We encounter many people in our lives. They might be of different nationality, different cultures, different sex and might have different colours. But these people have an impact on us in some or the other way. It might take a lifetime or just a simple moment. Either actions or words.’

I turned off the radio as soon as I reached the restaurant. I stepped out of my car as my body reacted to the sudden change in temperature.

I was now no more in the coolness of my car’s AC and was standing in the bustling crowd of Itaewon. I take out my spectacles which were now hooded with a layer of fog.

I escort myself to the front door of the restaurant as the guard opens it wide for me. I was welcomed with sweet smell of wine and sizzling sound of the grilling meat.

I saw my colleagues, who were waiting for me, now cheering upon my arrival.

“The groom has finally arrived!!!!”

Hoseok sunbae being overly excited was nothing new among our office people. After all, his nickname is sunshine.

Everyone was used to him and his bright side except for Yeonjun. And it is quite understandable, since he joined us the last month.

“Sunbae-nim, congrats!!!”, said Yeonjun, his cute smile never leaving his face.

“Come on, I don’t see how it’s a thing to celebrate. My boy is going to be a busy family man from tomorrow. No more bachelor’s night out.”, said Jimin who was nearly on the verge of passing out.

“How much has he been drinking?”, I asked.

“6 bottles down. I wonder if he has a liver or a well.”, said Seokjin sunbae laughing at his own joke.

I didn’t realize when we all melted and mixed into the ambience of laughter and chatter. Everyone seemed to be on the same page except for me.

My mind was filled with so many thoughts that it made me bit dizzy. Maybe everyone goes through this the night before their marriage. 

“Hey Yeonjun, I think you should get a haircut. Long hair makes you look pretty not handsome.”, everyone started laughing at one of the colleague’s comment.

But in reality, they were just trying to pick on their junior. Someone who’s weaker than them. Someone who is different from the usual crowd.

“Ahh….. yes.”, Yeonjun poured a glass to the man’s glass as he replied awkwardly.

Yeonjun always reminded me of someone.

Him.

A distant summer’s faint memory from the fresh middle school days.