XIII

"How come Mark-hyung won't attack Donghyuck? It just doesn't make any sense to me"

Renjun mumbled.

"I know why that is"

"Do share Chenle~"

Taeyong looked very interesting in hearing my explanation.

"If most of you recall, Donghyuck-hyung mentioned that Mark-hyung took him in when he had nothing. He said Mark-hyung's always there for him, and that he just wanted to be there for him too"

"Oh yeah. But what did he mean when he said Mark-hyung took him in?"

Jaemin asked, and I sighed.

"I promised them I wouldn't tell anyone about this, but I guess it can't be helped now. Not too long before we met Donghyuck-hyung, he and his parents were in a really bad car accident. Even though Mark-hyung and his mom were just mere bystanders, they still took it upon themselves to try and help them out of the car. Unfortunately though, they could only save Donghyuck-hyung. His parents were crushed in the car upon the impact, and died instantly. They stayed with him even after he was released from the hospital, and even after the funeral. Mark-hyung's mom decided to adopt him, which came easy since they had the same surname, and they've been brothers ever since"

Everyone went completely silent after my explanation.

"...It's not something that either of them likes to bring up. That experience was very traumatic for both of them. I'd suggest not mentioning it to them at all unless you have to. They only told me after I figured it out for myself. They trusted me to keep my mouth shut, so I'm trusting all of you to keep your mouths shut too"

"No need to worry about me. I definitely will"

Jaehyun stated, while Jeno gave him directions.

"So that's why he refused to leave him alone..."

Renjun pouted and his ears drooped.

"And I'm guessing that's why Mark won't attack him. He makes it his mission to protect Donghyuck, no matter what he's feeling"

Taeyong analyzed.

"I guess it can't be helped then. If we can't separate them, then we'll have to take them down together"

"How do we do that hyung??"

Jisung asked Jaehyun.

"I brought three types of tranquilizer darts just in case we need them. One is enough for a fox, one is enough for a lion, and one is enough for a tiger"

"Why a tiger??"

Jaemin inquired.

"Naturally, a tiger is bigger than a lion. If Mark somehow overcomes the dart that's meant for him, then the tiger one will definitely bring him down long enough for us to use the antidote on him. But I'll only use the darts if they give us a hard time"

"Won't that kill him though...?"

Jeno asked, and I answered.

"Not at all. The chemical ketamine that's in the darts only renders its target unable to move or experience pain. The amount of it used depends on how big the animal is, or how resistant that animal may be to the ketamine. So no matter how much is used, it won't kill him. The least likely thing to happen is that he'll slip into a coma, but that's only if we had to use darts with enough ketamine to bring down an elephant or something bigger"

"You sure do know your stuff Chenle"

Jaehyun had an impressed smirk on his face.

"I do my research from time to time"