Godric's Hollow

October 31, 1981

Sirius ran down the deserted street, the crescent moon staring down at him as he stumbled across the wet tar. His blank feet scraped against the road as he took a sharp right down the street. His black leather jacket wasn't buttoned, blowing in the faint, humid wind as strand of his black hair rushed over his pale face. 

He spotted the white house in the distance, but it looked darker than normal through his eyes. The aurora surrounding it was dark in general and Sirius gulped, not slowing down as he rushed into the newly mowed grass. Rushing up to the steps of the door, he quickly shoved open the broken open door. Removing his wand, he crept into the dark house. The entryway was dark and wrecked. The doorway table was knocked over, the vase which was normally sitting on top shattering on the wooden floor. 

"James!" Sirius shouted. He kept his wand outstretched in front of him as he proceeded into the silent house. Quickly, he rushed up the stairs. "James!"

A man's sob came from upstairs and Sirius quickened his steps. Rapidly, he stumbled up the stairs, but he came to a stop at the sound of something crunching under his black boot. He lifted his foot to find a pair of shattered glasses beneath his shoe. His eyes widened and he quickly looked back up the darkened staircase.

"JAMES!" Sirius shouted, bounding back up the stairs. The man's sobs had gone quiet at the top of the stairs. Quickly he turned the corner of the stairs, looking up to see Harry's bedroom door cracked open. But, when his eyes looked down, he found a man's body lying in front of the bedroom door. With one limp arm lying over his chest and the other falling down the steps, Sirius quickly stumbled back down the stairs, tripping down and falling into the wall. 

"James?" he croaked. "Prongs, this isn't the time..." Sirius cried to him, tears springing to his eyes. But the man's body did not move. HIs chest wasn't rising and falling. Sirius quickly pushed off the wall and pulled himself up the steps on his knees, forcing himself to get closer to his best friend sbody. "James," he cried, gripping his best friends jacket which was still wrapped around his cold body. Lying his face on James's still chest, he sobbed. 

He sobbed until he could not sob any longer. The emotion of shock and sorrow overwhelming any other. He raised his numb face from his chest and slowly got to his shaking feet. He pulled James's body to the top of the stairs, setting his best friend into a sitting position against the wall of Harry's bedroom door. He took the shattered glasses from the staircase, placing them on James's nose bridge and stepping away, wiping his eyes. But the sight of his still best friend made him break into another fit of uncontrollable sobs. 

He wasn't ready for what Harry's bedroom had to hold. 

Lily's body was sprawled across the floor on her stomach in the same uncomfortable position as James's had been. Her fiery red hair was dull now, her face pale as the life was drained from her. Her eyes open, as James's had been, revealing her beautiful set of green eyes which seemed to be swimming with the ghosts of her past. Sirius pulled her into his arms, nuzzling his face into her hair as he bit his tongue to stop tears from coming to his eyes as his nose brushed her cold forehead. He set her outside just besides James's, lacing their fingers together.

He walked up to Harry's broken crib, wiping his eyes. But, the boy wasn't there. Sirius's eyes widened in panic and his eyes immediately shot to the broken window which was sure to be the way the intruder had escaped. 

Lord Voldemort.

"Harry!" Sirius yelled. "Harry come out!" he shouted, not believing that the little boy was gone. He rushed to the closet, throwing the doors open. Then, he quickly ran down the stairs, throwing open kitchen cupboards and other rooms. 

Then, the phone rang. 

Sirius practically fell against the landline, picking up the phone and pushing it painfully against his ear.

"Is it true Sirius?" a voice asked on the other side of the line. "Is he gone?" 

It was Remus. 

"Remus!" Sirius screamed, his slight pull together breaking open at the sound of his best friends voice. He collapsed to the ground, rapid tears streaming down his cheeks as he clutched the phone tightly to his ear. His legs were pulled to his chest as he sobbed like a tortured child. "He's got Harry! Harry's gone... and James, his glasses, they shattered.... I stepped on them-"

"Sirius," Remus quickly cut off his stuttering as he tried to pull himself together. BUt he was hyperventilating in the Potter's house, alone. His eyes stung and he couldn't see anything through the tears. "I've got Harry."

"You do?" Sirius whispered.

"Yes, you wouldn't believe who dropped him off if I told you."

Sirius whimpered slightly, a pathetic squeak escaping his lips as he pulled his legs tight to his chest. 

"It's all my fault," Sirius sobbed into the phone. "I should've been here... with them."

"Sirius..." Remus began. "There's nothing you could have done."

"There is!" Sirius cried. "I could've protected them... now they're both gone."

Remus went silent.

"Lily's gone, too?" 

He said it so quietly Sirius almost missed it. When Sirius stayed quiet, not trusting his voice for he was afraid he would break out in sobs, he heard Remus pull his face away from the phone and he heard a few sniffles. He was trying to keep himself together for Sirius. 

"Moony?" Sirius asked, reaching up to the phone with his other hand. 

But, the phone line was filled with static.

And Sirius was left utterly alone, just as he had started.